TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Yellow wires

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eticket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Yellow wires
    Posted: Mar/02/2014 at 3:54pm
 I was working in the engine compartment and came across these 2 yellow wires tied together to a molded lug. It seems they they may have come from the starter solenoid but I am not sure or what terminal they came from.  Any ideas where they came from, or where they went to, or what they are used for?
  Thanks  Mike
Experience comes from Good Judgement, but sometimes that comes from Bad judgement,
Mike
bikerfox View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bikerfox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/02/2014 at 4:45pm
Picture?
1969 Rebel SST (1970-1987)
1968 AMX (2005-2011)
1969 SC/Rambler (2011-2019)
1970 Javelin (2019 to ?)"Jane"
1greasygt View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1greasygt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/02/2014 at 5:05pm
    Which year and model?
eticket View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eticket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/02/2014 at 5:57pm
sorry   1970 AMX  360  4 speed  I will work on getting a pic
Experience comes from Good Judgement, but sometimes that comes from Bad judgement,
Mike
Extract2th View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Extract2th Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/02/2014 at 8:56pm
I believe that to be the wire that goes to the coil from the starter solenoid on a NON tach car. Considering your car is an AMX that wire is bypassed with the tach wiring harness which goes to the tach and then to the coil (one of the wires is blue, don't recall the other color).  So it shouldn't be used on your car.  At least that is how my 70 Javelin (same harness) is wired.
Shane Blake
Current Cars & Projects:
1968 AMX
1970 Gremlin
1970 Javelin SST
1973 Javelin
1977 Hornet AMX
1979 Spirit AMX
1988 Eagle wagon
Parts Cars/Future Projects:
1970 Javelin SST, 1972 Gremlin
sidewinder View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sidewinder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/02/2014 at 9:49pm
Originally posted by Extract2th Extract2th wrote:

I believe that to be the wire that goes to the coil from the starter solenoid on a NON tach car. Considering your car is an AMX that wire is bypassed with the tach wiring harness which goes to the tach and then to the coil (one of the wires is blue, don't recall the other color).  So it shouldn't be used on your car.  At least that is how my 70 Javelin (same harness) is wired.

X2..... shown on the TSM wire diagram also

Chuck Page
Chuck Page ,AKA Sidewinder
1968 "BLACK CHERRY" Javelin
Previous owner of 2013 Heritage Cup winner 1970 BBO AMX

billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/03/2014 at 6:56am
When  they use a tach, those wires are disconnected from the starter relay/solenoid on the fender and left hanging.
With NO tach, that molded plug goes to the I terminal on the solenoid. That is what gives full battery voltage to the coil during cranking, bypassing the in-wire resistor.
If you have a tach, leave that disconnected.

JKJavelin View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JKJavelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/03/2014 at 4:57pm
That's right. The PO of my AMX wired in a new harness when building the car. He said he couldn't get the tach to work, so when I had the dash apart last summer I tried to figure it out with the wiring diagram and if I remember right,  he had power going to both terminals of the tach. According to the diagram I found that the wiring was different depending on whether it had a tach. When I removed one of the yellow wires, the tach worked (I think it was the yellow one he had going to the coil).
JK
440sixpack View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 440sixpack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/08/2014 at 10:58pm
Doesn't the double yellow wire just hook up on the "I "side of the selinoid on a tach car?   that's how my 70 AMX was,  otherwise you'd have a hot wire bouncing around.

I 'm not sure if it was right or not,  it wasn't running when I bought it and I'm not done  with the restoration yet .
george w View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/09/2014 at 7:52am

On my 69 AMX, the yellow feed wire that would go to the + side of the coil get's moved to the I terminal of the starter relay. The blue wire with the push on connector is unplugged and left hanging. Then the blue wire of the 2 wire tach harness goes onto the I terminal with the yellow wire. On the tach harness the blue wire goes to the + terminal of the tach and the yellow comes off the - of the tach and then goes to the + side of the ignition coil. Ignition voltage through the resistance wire comes off the yellow wire in the main harness, connects to the I terminal of the starter relay which is dead unless the ignition switch is in the start position. Ignition voltage then passes into the tach harness's blue wire, through the tach, out the yellow and onward to the ignition coil.
When the starter is engaged 12 volts from the I terminal of the starter relay goes to the tach and to the coil bypassing the resistance wire in the main harness. Apparently the tach is not voltage sensitive.

Since the tach is in series with the iginition coil if the tach is disconnected the car won't run unless the blue and yellow tach wires are connected together.
Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic