TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - How to Overhaul the Hurst Competition/Plus Shifter
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

How to Overhaul the Hurst Competition/Plus Shifter

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
rcky View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rcky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to Overhaul the Hurst Competition/Plus Shifter
    Posted: Aug/22/2013 at 5:41pm
Also I tried to find a diagram of a competition plus Hurst shifter showing all of the pieces and their respective places in the shifter but apparentlly they are proprietary . I could not find one anywhere online. I am rebuilding one  right now and the reverse detent spring and assembly are missing. I ordered them from Brewers but would like to see a diagram to know exactly where the detent washer  goes.

1969 SC/Rambler
71 black Hornet sc/360
hffej View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hffej Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/21/2013 at 8:44pm
I bought my rebuild parts through Heartbeat City Camaro.   Their rebuild kit also included the shift handle isolator clamps (extremely worn out on both my cars) for the bayonet style shift lever that AMC used and is less money. Also I bought new bushings and retainer clips from them. They have both the nylon and the steel bushings depending on your preference.

http://www.heartbeatcitycamaro.com/store/product/19806/Camaro-Hurst-shifter-rebuilding-kit-1968-1969/
Jeff
rcky View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rcky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/21/2013 at 2:56pm
You can buy individual Hurst shifter parts from Brewers Performance
http://www.brewersperformance.com
1969 SC/Rambler
71 black Hornet sc/360
oleblue69 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oleblue69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/16/2012 at 9:59pm
I wrote a article on how to rebuild your hurst shiffter in the Colorado AMC newsletter acouple years ago....would be glad to walk you thru it on the phone...Jeff   mailto:jsack390@aol.com - jsack390@aol.com
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/11/2007 at 1:22pm
Originally posted by 71SC360 71SC360 wrote:

Originally posted by kirkwood kirkwood wrote:

wow... it did go up a lot! It was around $65 in the nineties!

In the 90's Hurst was owned by Mr Gasket. Now it's owned by B&M and they are raping the hobby for all it's worth. I wouldn't have them rebuild my toilet.....

Sorry for the rant but B&M has always been the "runner up" in the aftermarket shifter world. Always second to Hurst. Now that they own the Hurst name it seems like they are punishing the people that own Hurst shifters. Hurst shifters are not that hard to rebuild. I recommend buying the parts and doing it yourself.

I have to admit that I am not a big fan of B&M ..........
Steve_P View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/09/2007 at 2:39am
I've "rebuilt" a 69-70 OE for AMC hurst.  It's not that difficult. Disassembly is easy, but there are a couple of springs and one of them is kind of a PITA to install at assembly.  All of my parts were good so it was disassemble, clean, have everything plated, lube/assemble, test.  When you take it apart, just watch what you're doing, take pics and notes, and especially note how the springs install.

edit: on the prices, what does $250 get you?  Are they replating the mechanism and links in zinc?  If so, this sounds like an ok price to me.  If not, maybe it's high.  I'm sure I spent at least 4 hrs on just tear down and assy (not cleaning and prepping for plating) but someone that does it every day should be able to do it in half that or less.

Edited by Steve_P - Aug/09/2007 at 2:46am
bigbad69 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbad69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/08/2007 at 4:20am
As I recall, Hurst was part of Mr Gasket when they did mine. The address is the same, but you never know what cost cutting has since happened.

Does anyone have any more recent experience with Hurst rebuilds?
69 Javelin SST BBO 390 T10
71SC360 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 71SC360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/08/2007 at 3:49am
If you want B&M gouge company to rebuild your shifter, here's a link...

71SC360 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 71SC360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/08/2007 at 3:48am
Originally posted by kirkwood kirkwood wrote:

In the 90's Hurst was owned by Mr Gasket. Now it's owned by B&M and they are raping the hobby for all it's worth. I wouldn't have them rebuild my toilet.....

Sorry for the rant but B&M has always been the "runner up" in the aftermarket shifter world. Always second to Hurst. Now that they own the Hurst name it seems like they are punishing the people that own Hurst shifters. Hurst shifters are not that hard to rebuild. I recommend buying the parts and doing it yourself.
kirkwood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kirkwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/08/2007 at 3:24am
AMO Newsletter Editor
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic