TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

360 stroker help

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81j10honcho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/24/2008 at 8:51pm
the 360 will be bored 030 overs stock bore im just wounderin wat kind of tq and hp 
74Bubblefender View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Bubblefender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/24/2008 at 9:19pm
A sonic test tells you how far you can overbore. The area around the thrust wall in the cylinder about 1/3 of the way up gets thin on AMC motors. On early 360's it seemed almost that the thrust area thickness went 360 degrees around the cylinder. A sonic test will give you all the ammo you need. The best part about doing this is you can use 401 pistons if your block can handle the bore. The production 360 blocks dont have the thick webbing like the 401 block but that doesnt mean they cant build great torque and horsepower.
We are just about to forge new AMC V8 crankshafts.. please check here
http://www.bulltear.com/forums/showthread.php?19564
amx39068 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amx39068 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/24/2008 at 9:24pm
The overbore on the 360 alone will only minimally impact its power output.  It really depends on what else you are planning to do to the motor so if the answer is not much then your output will still be in the stock output range and will be more impacted by which compression pistons you put in the motor than the overbore.

Edited by amx39068 - Sep/24/2008 at 9:25pm
Dan Curtis-Owner and CEO AZ AMC Restorations; Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/amcmusclecars/ & Curtis Real Estate Development
81j10honcho View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81j10honcho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/24/2008 at 10:11pm
since its a dished piston  its gonna get shaved
amcramblermarlin View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcramblermarlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/24/2008 at 11:07pm
I don't know about sonic testing; you tell me? I'm just quoting "Performance American Style" -AMC's factory performance book printed way back in the early seventies. It seems like someone could measure the two castings through the water jacket openings. Maybe AMC did use the same water jacket casting cores for the 360 and 401 to save money? -not sure at all.

Shave the stock cast 360 pistons? That might mess with the upper ring location and make it fail from heat or weakness of the ring lands. The stock cast pistons don't usually survive being pressed off the rods; they'll crack. Forged aluminum pistons usually do.

"AM Racing" at www.amracing.com/whatwedo/pistons.html sells trick AMC 360 pistons for $360. I bet these guys know what to do. -$45 a piston isn't too expensive? considering how the engine will be done "right", to offer a very durable combination. 
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcramblermarlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/24/2008 at 11:21pm
I've had good results with Rhoads lifters. I used them in my tricked out 360 I built for my "back on the street" '69 AMX. (a former drag car that ran side by side with a real SS/AMX, having the same modifications; battery in the trunk, fuel line nipples onto the back of the gas tank for the electric fuel pump, modified front bottom out bumpers for popping wheelies, oversized rear wheel openings... named "High Roller") I employed all the oil system mods I show in my drawings at www.planethoustonamx.com/main/amc%20oil%20modification%20setup.htm I used a high rpm cam and kit from Isky, but my idle was smooth for my automatic and A/C. 
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcramblermarlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/24/2008 at 11:34pm
385 cid will definitely make more power than 360 cid, but I'm curious about the rod ratio issue and stroke. I think the stock 360 cam won't be able to take advantage of the stroke change; might need a 390/401 cam that has a different lobe separation angle...
Hurst390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hurst390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/25/2008 at 6:03am
AMRACING........Get away....FAST!!!!!
SC/Hurst Rambler

11.62 120

100% Street Legal
74Bubblefender View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Bubblefender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/25/2008 at 9:57am
Man I dont know where to start.

Your drawing were beautifull and have probly helped many. There are hundreds who simply use a deeper sump pan and drag race without a valley line, drilling out the timing cover or porting out the oil filter adaptor. Not saying it doesnt help, many things help. The 385ci has been done lots and lots of times. Seeing as the 360 and 401 have the same deck height the increase in stroke should give him a nice increase in power even with the stock bore or stock cam. This engine may be going into a jeep!  You may want to check with AM Racing to see if they still offer 360 pistons for $360. IIRC their website hasnet been updated since 2002. It could be that those pistons are for a 4.125 bore chevy pin ( :D )

Sonic checking is the ultimate finality when checking the bore size you can open your block up to. As long and the person checking the block is very thourough...very thourough you will know exactly where the thin spots are :)

Edited by 74Bubblefender - Sep/25/2008 at 9:58am
We are just about to forge new AMC V8 crankshafts.. please check here
http://www.bulltear.com/forums/showthread.php?19564
tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/25/2008 at 2:21pm
I got the pistons from AMRACING about 4 years ago, I still haven't assembled the engine.
It took over 6 months, and several calls, for them to arrive.
They're hyperutechnic, not forged, and they are 4.125 bore,I'm pretty sure they're Chevy 396 pistons,  but the pin holes have been machined or honed out to AMC pin size, and the top looks like they've been machined to flat tops.
To tell you the truth, i'm a little unsure about them.
66 American SW, 66 American 2dr, 82 J10, 70 Hornet, Pound, Va.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic