TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

cam gear bkoke again

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote whizkidder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/20/2008 at 7:47am
Are you sure you are getting oil to the cam gear?   Lots of problems previously documented on the forum about aftermarket cams (lacking proper oiling holes/groove), cam timing sprockets (oil passage plugged with casting flash/not aligned properly with oiling hole in cam face), and gunk in the four small pinholes in the cam dizzy gear that allow oil to get to the gear teeth.

Sounds like a lube problem to me.
Ron Frost
marne1ancient @ gmail.com
910 nine two two 0563

"There is no limit to what a man can do, so long as he does not care a straw who gets credit for it. Charles Montague
amxess View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amxess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/20/2008 at 4:37pm

I'd check your Edelbrock timing gear and see how it lines up with that oil slot on the cam. I've had three sets of gears go in last few years on two seperate motors (one set after only one hour), and that was because I was using those aftermarket distributor gears with the stock AMC drive gear, which ate up the drive gears but not the distributor gears ( I even bought the last two fom the Mopar dealer.)

The last time I changed gears (on an A/C car) which is allot of work, I used the Bulltear gear set as it's the only one available now I think with both gears being of the same metal (unless you want to go the bronze distributor gear route). I had three double roller timing chain sets (Cloyes, Rollmaster, and an unknown brand), and I checked all three to see how they lined up with the groove for oiling on the cam. Since the Rollmaster has a ball bearing slot, it really doesn't matter how it lines up as it will guarantee oiling to the gear, so I went with that one and will only use that one from now on-I'm sick of replacing those gears!!!! The other two lined up but one didn't line up right on, so it may have limited oiling to the gear, though I know the much harder metal distributor gear was chewing up the drive gears. If you have a new distributor gear that doesn't accept the stock pin, then it's one of the aftermarket and throw it away!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I drilled out the holes to accept the pins and man was that metal hard!
prostreetamx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prostreetamx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/20/2008 at 5:23pm
I bought a matched set of Bulltear gears. They were installed in the correct location, not backwards. They were both coated with assembly lube. My oil pump shaft is not binding. The distributor gear does not appear to have any damage at all while the bolt on cam gear is missing several teeth and the remaining teeth are 1/2 thickness and evenly worn about 2/3 deep. I am running a Comp Cam that has been in this motor for 5000 miles. I was running a stock cam gear the first time it went with the Mallory distributor gear which had a smaller roll pin than the Bulltear replacement gear. I did not drill out the hole in the gear, only the Mallory shaft. The cam gear that I used on the rebuilt 401 was a used gear from another motor so it had way more than the 5000 miles I put on it. The Bulltear gear only made it about 300 miles. I don't know why it went so fast at this point but I really don't like having to do this repair this often. The other AMC motors I've had this happen to in the past were completely different used motors with all stock components and I didn't use anything from those motors on this 401 since they were all left behind years ago in Michigan. They were just used motors, I did not build them. I am leaning toward a bad timing cover or lack of lubrication. I have had good oil pressure and the oil was changed after the last gear replacement. I have a deep pan and have not run it low. The motor has only been driven back and forth to work, about 2 miles each way since the gear swap. It has been backfireing when the timing slips off 10 adv. I have a rebuilder core 360 sitting here that I might snag the cover off, but I don't know the condition yet. I have used the same double roller timeing chain setup since the first rebuild. No mater what the cause, I will still need to purchase another matched set of gears but since they are claimed to both be the same hardness, I can't figure out why only the cam gear is destroyed with no damage to the distributor gear. Distributor gears are much easier to change.
Richard Payne

Las Vegas,NV

72 5.7 Hemi Javelin

77 Prostreet 401/727 AMX,

[/URL]
amxess View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amxess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/20/2008 at 6:13pm
I suggest you contact Bulltear, as they did allot of R&D, and maybe they can give you some better insight why this happened. I've only heard good things about their gears, and I sure hope mine hold up! I'll only use the Rollmaster timing set as I mentioned earlier since it's pretty failsafe for getting oil to the gear.

Let us know if you figure it out. Possible the Bulltear set was bad.

amxess
PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/20/2008 at 8:12pm
Once back together with replacement dizzy drive gears and the timimg cover installed, leave off the fuel pump, use a pre-oiling tool to run the oil pump, and look up through the fuel pump hole in the timimg cover to see that oil is running out of and covers the camshaft mounted distributor drive gear.  This is a way to confirm the dizzy drive gear is getting oiled.  Have you seen the YouTube videos where someone cut a large round hole in a timing cover centered on the camshaft and uses a oil priming tool to show the amount of stock dizzy drive gear oiling ?  The oil is very visible in the videos since it is kinda white colored from having water in the oil.  It most obviously has to be a very frustrating situation. 

Edited by PHAT69AMX - Oct/21/2008 at 5:46am
74Bubblefender View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Bubblefender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/20/2008 at 8:27pm
Richard your gears were both rockwell tested and were the equal. Something else is going on there and I believe you could have some oil bleeding off. Some new timing gears come with the oiling slot that goes past the OD of the first cam bearing allowing oil to bleed off. Look deeper the answer has to be there. Even with gears in the 60rc range you will disenegrate them with a lack of lube.
We are just about to forge new AMC V8 crankshafts.. please check here
http://www.bulltear.com/forums/showthread.php?19564
prostreetamx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prostreetamx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/20/2008 at 8:36pm
The Bulltear gears looked great when I installed them so I was actually looking for another cause of the failure and I found it. After reading about the oil passage behind the upper timing gear, I pulled my chain off. The hole in my Comp Cam I purchased abot 10 years ago and the timing chain gear do not line up at all. With the cam keyway straight up, the oil supply hole is at 10 o'clock, looking at it from the front. The grove in the back of the timing chain gear as well as the slot are directly opposite the keyway, or 6 o'clock. The grove and slot are at a pretty sharp angle and could use a little relief cut in but the grove in the back of the gear is so far away from the oil supply from the cam that I most likely wasn't getting anthing but splash on the cam gear. I'm suprised that the original cam gear went 5000 miles. I have 2 solutions in mind. One is to have a circular grove cut in tghe back of my existing aftermarket gear, but I don't have the tools for this. Two is to purchase a timing set that already has this feature. I will be purchasing another matched set of Bulltear gears and a new timing chain set since redrilling the cam supply hole is not really an option either. I thought that the cam gear looked a little dry when I pulled it but since I usually wipe down parts as I pull them I couldn't be sure. Does Bulltear carry the ball grooved timing chain set?Tongue
Richard Payne

Las Vegas,NV

72 5.7 Hemi Javelin

77 Prostreet 401/727 AMX,

[/URL]
PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/20/2008 at 9:08pm
Understanding is there should be a small "notch" or "Relief" that looks like it was made with a round cutter kinda shaped like a round bottomed "V" with the wide end towards the center hole and the small end away from the center hole in the back face of the Cam Sprocket that lines up with the oil hole located in the forward face of the front cam bearing journal.  Oil comes out of the front cam journal hole, passes through the small "notch" in the back face of the timing gear, then runs around the chamfer of the camshaft mounting hole in the back face of the camshaft timing gear to get around to the "keyway oiling slot" in the camshaft timing gear bore, located at the 6 o'clock position, which is 180 degrees around fron the "real" keyway, then through same "keyway oiling slot" in Fuel Pump Eccentric, and finally to the Dizzy Drive Gear. 

Edited by PHAT69AMX - Oct/20/2008 at 9:10pm
steeters View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steeters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/20/2008 at 9:57pm
pictures anyone?  I've got a brand new timing set resting on the cam and crank snouts and before it go any further, i'd sure like to know what to look for.
Thanks in advance if you are able to take the time to share a little more information with photos!
Steve
amcramblermarlin View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcramblermarlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/20/2008 at 10:40pm
I've never had a distributor drive gear problem, and never owned any other make of V8 engine. My first thought was the oil slinger is missing on the crank. Sorry to hear the so called "high performance" aftermarket parts seem to miss the AMC V8 oiling provision. (the stock cam gears don't, of course) -Pitiful- I do know Cloyes double roller works by two experiences with AMC V8s that had lumpy cams and lasted until the cars changed hands -never ate the cam or dist. drive gear. On the other hand, "American Performance" in Cocoa Beach FL sells an external line kit to lube the distributor and cam gear, I expect the fuel pump ecentric somewhat also. I am sorry for you to take a punch on the chin for owning an AMC product; it's not the car's fault, or your fault, it's obviously the aftermarket parts maker's fault. They should not only be informed of their faulty product, but graciously recompense you for your aggravation. labors and expenses. This is called "bad ethics" when faulty products are sold only to get the customer's money. Again, AMC took the lead in the industry with a superior warranty to uphold good ethics. AMC cars with V8 engines did not have this problem. It's the aftermarket parts maker's call to be ethical or not. -Nuf said.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic