TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

INSTALLING INTAKE MANIFOLD GASKET

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toadman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: INSTALLING INTAKE MANIFOLD GASKET
    Posted: Jul/30/2015 at 9:11pm
I'M GETTING READY TO INSTALL MY R4B INTAKE MANIFOLD ON MY 70' 390 AND WAS WONDERING IF I SHOULD USE GASKET SEALANT ON ALL SIDES OF GASKETS . I'M USING THE METAL THIN VALLEY PAN AND THESES EDELBROCK GASKET SET 7213 . I WAS GOING TO USE THE PERMATEX ULTRA GRAY RIDGID HIGH TORQUE RTV SILICONE GASKET MAKER AROUND ALL THE ANTIFREEZE INTAKE PORTS AND PERMATEX 20539 INDIAN HEAD GASKET SHELLAC AROUND THE EXHAUST PORTS . DOES THIS SOUND RIGHT ? DO YOU DO ALL SIDES WITH GASKET SEALER ? THANKS FOR INPUT
toadman View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toadman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/30/2015 at 9:14pm
THE METAL VALLEY PAN GASKET IS FELPRO MS 96011 FORGOT TO MENTION 
7172AMX View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7172AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/30/2015 at 10:32pm
Toad,
been a while since i put one down, but have used permatex super blue silicone on coolant ports and the "tacky-bond" fuel resistant thin coating on both intake sides. I pre-position the valley dry so get good seating, remove and coat  head first, position valley and coat the gasket. I also discard the rubber rail seals, using a high build silicone bead. rails can impede metal crush effecting intake seal and squeeze out. i norm dont coat exhaust ports since the double wall seal is there. Im fixin to swap torker out and try my r4b soon. hope it works out.  
Henry
GoPacKman
71 JavAMX 401 T-10 354TG
72 JavSST 360 727 315TG
98 Jeep Cherokee Classic 4.0 4WD
jayramb View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jayramb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/30/2015 at 10:56pm
Permatex Right Stuff. Smear it all around. The more the better. Won't hurt. I replaced my manifold from 2 barrel to 4 barrel manifold last year this time. I say that cuz you don't want water jacket leaks or vacuum leaks. Be sure to use it on the rear and front.
Jayson Helenske
See my webiste! www.1967AMCRamblerRebel.weebly.com
Current Cars:
1967 Rambler Rebel 770 290 V8 4-barrel and Paint - Marina Aqua.
1966 MARLIN 327 V8 4 barrel and Paint-Med. Cortez Aqua
ccowx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccowx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/30/2015 at 11:56pm
I use the blue RTV around the water jackets and Aviation formagasket (brown syrupy stuff) around the intake ports. I replace the end rail gaskets with blue rtv beads for the reasons above and it makes a nice neat seal when squeezed out by the intake. Never had any leakage issues. Make sure to check and retorque the bolts a few times as they can work out just like header bolts. Both sides for sealant on the gasket.

Chris
401jim View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401jim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/31/2015 at 7:30am
Right Stuff from Permatex Is the holy grail of sealants. Most other sealants say on the instructions that will NOT work with coolants or around fuels. Go figure.
uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/31/2015 at 7:45am
The Felpro gasket's I have used came with a set of instructions which when followed worked. Having had to clean up messes caused by slathering RTV around where it did not belong and applied in a manner that it should not have been, I have yet to become a fan of RTV being the solution for anything frankly so I would rather just follow the instructions on using the materials recommended by a manufacturer of the gasket and how it was instructed to be used.
70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
76 Hornet, 5.7L Mercury Marine Power
80 Fuel Injected I6 Spirit
74 232 I-6, 4bbl, 270HL Isky Cam
tufcj View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tufcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/31/2015 at 9:31am
Originally posted by toadman toadman wrote:

I'M USING THE METAL THIN VALLEY PAN AND THESES EDELBROCK GASKET SET 7213 .

One or the other, don't stack both gaskets. I'd suggest the factory valley pan. I coat both sides of the intake port area with Permatex spray copper, around the water ports with Ultra Black or Ultra Gray. I use the supplied rubber end gaskets, but install them dry (any RTV makes them slippery, and they'll squish out). Just a dab of RTV where the end gaskets meet the head. I've always had good luck with them sealing. Clean the surfaces well, use brake cleaner to remove any oil from the sealing surfaces. Like paint, prep is 90% of the job.

Bob
tufcj
69 AMX
74 Javelin AMX
67 Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
you'll eventually pay for it...
and not have it.
Henry Ford
toolmanxiii View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toolmanxiii Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/31/2015 at 9:42am
Originally posted by tufcj tufcj wrote:

Originally posted by toadman toadman wrote:

I'M USING THE METAL THIN VALLEY PAN AND THESES EDELBROCK GASKET SET 7213 .

One or the other, don't stack both gaskets. I'd suggest the factory valley pan. I coat both sides of the intake port area with Permatex spray copper, around the water ports with Ultra Black or Ultra Gray. I use the supplied rubber end gaskets, but install them dry (any RTV makes them slippery, and they'll squish out). Just a dab of RTV where the end gaskets meet the head. I've always had good luck with them sealing. Clean the surfaces well, use brake cleaner to remove any oil from the sealing surfaces. Like paint, prep is 90% of the job.

Bob
tufcj

X2
71 360 Hornet sst 83 2wd 360/727 Eagle wagon (crashed)
toadman View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toadman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/31/2015 at 10:31am
why wouldn't both gaskets be ok ? wouldn't it just give it a better seal ? any ideas . i had problems with antifreeze leaking in the back passengers side corner and was dripping under the bellhousing at first i thought it was the rear freeze out plug behind the bellhousing but after looking i saw antifreeze coming out of the manifold bolt the one in the back corner by the heater control valve and i had just the metal valley pan with no other gaskets . that's why i was going to use both . the guy that put it on used some orange rtv sealant on all the ports my be that's why it leaked or could it be that i got a 68 69 r4b intake ? it has the center holes slotted but i can't tell if it was a 68 69 or 70 . i think 68 69 have a different deck height then the 70 ' ? is there a way to tell the difference measuring something ? it has part # M 4485729 on the intake . thanks for the replies
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic