TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

which transgo kit to use?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7172AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: which transgo kit to use?
    Posted: Aug/17/2015 at 9:28am
Hey all,
Automatics are my area of least experience. I pulled the pan on 727 and has no junk in it. Looking to get better street operation out of it since its apart.  Other than holley 600 and perf. intake, stock Jav. Do the tf1 and tf2 fix the converter drain back issue? Transgo product details do not mention that issue. I was leaning to the tf1 but many threads [mopar] opt for the tf2. Wife and i share this daily driver mode car, one day plan to go OD trans. thanks for any opinions on this topic.

Henry 
GoPacKman
71 JavAMX 401 T-10 354TG
72 JavSST 360 727 315TG
98 Jeep Cherokee Classic 4.0 4WD
Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/17/2015 at 4:00pm
IMO the tf1 is fine and both will fix the drainback issue. The one big negative for the tf2 (for a street car) is if you were to pull the shifter back into first at a high speed - it will go in first possibly launching your engine or causing you an accident. It cost a club member an engine.

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/17/2015 at 6:20pm
Originally posted by Mopar_guy Mopar_guy wrote:

IMO the tf1 is fine and both will fix the drainback issue. The one big negative for the tf2 (for a street car) is if you were to pull the shifter back into first at a high speed - it will go in first possibly launching your engine or causing you an accident. It cost a club member an engine.
I have the #2 in a 727. But it doesnt have the manual 1sr gear installed, transgo makes that optional. That is why my transmission guy wouldnt install that part of the kit.
kirkwood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kirkwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/17/2015 at 6:38pm
I had a tf2 in a 998 and I didn't feel a huge difference, so I always felt that a tf1 would be very little improvement.
AMO Newsletter Editor
1970390amx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1970390amx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/17/2015 at 9:11pm
They also maker a JR torqueflite kit, kind of a step down from a tf1. It has been a while since I have used them but the big difference is ion the manual control abilities of each one. A good shift kit dont make a shift hard. It decrees the overlap making it shorter making it fell firmer. Having a very hard shift is only good for breaking parts and breaking the tires loose slowing the car down. Any of the four trans go kits can create a harsh shift if you raise the line pressure enough, which is easy to adjust on a torqueflite. The JR kit is what I would use it is simple and cheap.
1970 390 4speed Bittersweet shadow mask AMX
1970 Amx missing most everything, or in a box
7172AMX View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7172AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/18/2015 at 7:14am
OK thanks everyone. I figured opinions would vary a bit on this buy great info here. I'm going to try the TF1, seems good compromise for my situation.
Henry Marotte 
GoPacKman
71 JavAMX 401 T-10 354TG
72 JavSST 360 727 315TG
98 Jeep Cherokee Classic 4.0 4WD
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic