TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Head Gasket Replacement Questions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bgeddes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Head Gasket Replacement Questions
    Posted: Sep/06/2015 at 7:28pm
My new to me Jeep has some coolant in the oil.  The plan is to pull the heads and replace the gaskets.  Should new head bolts be on the parts order as well?  If so, is there a particular set of head bolts that someone can recommend?  

Also, the intake is an aluminum Edlebrock Performer. Not sure it is on there correctly.  It seems there are two ideas as to how to properly install this unit.  Some swear by the valley pan and others say use aftermarket gaskets and sealant on the ends.  Any insight on this topic is welcomed.  Is possible that the intake is installed so poorly that it is causing this problem?    

Thanks, 
Bill
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/06/2015 at 7:45pm
well, I used my originals without issues just follow the proper torque sequence and step up torques in rotation, as to keep heads from cracking and proper seal. always use copper gasket spray.

I also always used valley pan gaskets, as they never failed me.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
rockAMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rockAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/06/2015 at 7:47pm
The Performer intake requires a bead of sealant on each end whether you use the valley pan gasket (I prefer) or the standard intake gaskets. The rubber end gaskets that come with the valley pan gasket set will not be high enough to get a good seal. Not likely your problem though.

Spray copper sealant on the head gaskets before installing. New head bolts are not necessary unless some are damaged. ARP makes a nice set for the AMC V8. If the engine has not been serviced in some time, it could be the head gaskets.
DWR
1968 AMX

FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/06/2015 at 9:07pm
Could the water in oil be from the intake gasket? Yes it could be from it.

As said reuse the stock head bolts unless they are bad. Make sure the bolts & holes are clean. Some motors need 1 head bolt with a little sealer on it, mine did not but have seen where others have.
Use spray copper coat on the head gaskets both sides.

On the intake yes use the stock pan gasket but not the end seals. I have had them blow out because the intake did not clamp down on them or they kept the intake sitting too high so it would not seal on the sides.
I also pre-fit the intake to the motor with out the gasket to make sure the angle to the head is good. If the block and/or heads been milled the angle cold be off and the pan gasket will not seal.

Pre-fit the pan gasket to the motor/heads. When this fits right lay down the beads of sealer on the ends of the motor and let set up.
Use a bead of sealer around the water ports on both sides of the gasket. Use copper coat around the intake ports and don't forget the hi temp sealer around the exh. cross over ports.

Doing it this way has worked for me.
Dave ----
TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
bgeddes View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bgeddes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/06/2015 at 9:35pm
So what would one look for in trying to determine if the heads need to be pulled vs just reseating and resealing the intake?  Do I just pull the intake and install the new gaskets and see where I get?  

FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/07/2015 at 8:59am
First I have to ask you said water in the oil IIRC how much water?
Did the oil level come up past the full mark on the stick or the oil looks like a milk shake when you pull the stick?
Or are you seeing "water" somewhere else and if so where?

Me when the intake comes off look for sealer at the water ports at all 4 corners on BOTH sides of the pan gasket. If no sealer then I "may say" that is were the water came from.
If it has sealer look closely for signs of water leaking past the sealer both on the heads and the intake.

If I did not see any signs of water getting by then I may pull the heads but the more I think of it how would water get to the oil from a head gasket?
I guess it could fill a cly and leak past the rings but you would get hydro lock and a cly would mis-fire and it would show out the exh pipe if running anti-freeze with white smoke with a sweet smell to it.
I also don't think I have seen an AMC v8 head gasket go bad and put water in the oil.
Dave ----

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/07/2015 at 9:01am
Also if not a lot of water gets into the oil put a psi tester on the radiator to see if it holds this will also tell you if from cooling system.
May want to do this test cold & hot and things "open" up when hot.
Dave ----

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
bgeddes View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bgeddes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/07/2015 at 10:33am
The oil level was a little high.  I have no idea how fast the water is getting into the oil, as I just bought this vehicle.  It has fresh oil now so I should know soon.  The oil definitely had some water in it but not the frothy mess I have seen in other engines.  There is fluids of all kinds on top of the intake.  Oil, coolant and a mix.  If it is possible for this to be caused by the intake, that's where I would wager the problem lies.  It's install and that of the headers is terribly suspect. 

Parts are ordered to do whatever needs to be done, but I sure would be nice to just reinstall (properly) the intake and exhaust, and be done with it.  
sweatlock View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/07/2015 at 6:57pm
With regards to the neoprene end seals that come with the stock steel valley pan gasket, some have had good experiences using them and some have not. My personal experience with Permatex "The Right Stuff" has been mixed - if used w/ a gasket it works great, but by itself it doesn't seem to hold up well. This has been the case for me w/ a differential cover, a transmission pan and an intake manifold. The next manifold intake install I do I will use the end seals.
bgeddes View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bgeddes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/11/2015 at 5:30pm
OK I finally got a chance to pull the intake, looks like this is where my problem lies.  Very little sealant anywhere on the gasket.  Also can someone tell me what is supposed to be in this opening?  Nothing was in it.  

http://www.jeepforum.com/gallery/data/4/medium/IMG_20150911_165430253.jpg - http://www.jeepforum.com/gallery/data/4/medium/IMG_20150911_165430253.jpg
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic