TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 1973 Gremlin Project.... "The Demise of Sanity"
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1973 Gremlin Project.... "The Demise of Sanity"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2021222324 101>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/30/2017 at 4:37pm
Had to bring the body in from the weather. Went to put my freshly primed fenders in the body for storage and when I pulled back the tarp I knew I had to make room again. 

Even with it tarped up we still had a rust issue going on. 

Spent a couple hours on it getting it all cleaned off..  

Only have 3 spots that need a little attention on the roof. So that's what I am going to go do this afternoon. 
You guessed it...!!! More sanding..!!! Big smile

And scraping.. I have some more undercoating that I need to have gone...  Ouch

Edited by BrotherBamc - Nov/30/2017 at 4:40pm
77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
2006 Dodge Magnum R/T AWD
My Garage
gremlinsteve View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gremlinsteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/30/2017 at 5:22pm
Tarps hold moisture
There the tomatoes evil twin
Tarps are no good
BrotherBamc View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/01/2017 at 12:00pm
Passenger side rear rocker panel. Figured I'd start on the "easy" part. Besides throwing a little mud on the front of the quarter panel. There was prior body damage that was repaired sometime in the late 70's. 

Light grinding... 

I was able to get the seam fairly straight. 

This is where I left off last night. Not to terribly happy with my results. Not sure what else to do besides a really fat coat of all metal bondo..   Ouch

77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
My Garage
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/12/2017 at 10:40am
Pounding and pulling on things. Funny how you remember where the dings and dents came from. This particular crease was from someone's open door. Guy pushed in the clutch to start his car and the girlfriend had the passenger side door open.. Car rolled back.. end of story.. 

Little bit better... 

This little ding kept my rear panel from being firm. It was soft. You could push on it and it would pop in and out. Surprised the tar out of me when I pulled it and the panel went back to being firm again. 

And lots of sanding... 

My Mom came in and said it was kind of pretty. I told her it was 120 grit camo job...!!!  LOL
77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
My Garage
pit crew View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pit crew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/12/2017 at 11:25am
The part I hate is blowing your nose and getting all the crud that got past the mask. Looks like you have contracted some exotic disease.

73 Hornet - 401EFI - THM400 - Twin Grip 20
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/12/2017 at 11:42am
Originally posted by pit crew pit crew wrote:

Looks like you have contracted some exotic disease.

Fenders had it too... Thought it look cool as a "RatRod" paint job. 

77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
My Garage
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/10/2018 at 12:31am
Front valence was kind of beat up. Not only by me, but apparently from Grandma too...!!!
Found some really crappy body work from some time before.
I should of removed the valence and pounded out the dents and dings. That would of been the proper way, but with out having a welder on hand and all those stinking spot welds, I lost count at about 25... I decided to not remove it and try to beat on it while still attached.
I ended up just putting on the fenders again after realizing it was about the only way to try to get any straightness to the edge.
I also tried to use the original spring "J" nuts and finding out that they weren't going to hold as good as new ones, I pitched those and found "j" nuts that use a 1/4" bolt instead. They seem to hold the front valence to the fenders tighter.

Still have a small hole that I have to weld up before I finish it off for paint. That hole came from the stud puller. Ouch

Yeah, it's got a little bit of mud in it too. Probably the first time I hook it up and drop the front end down too hard, it'll all fall out.. LOL..!!! 

Next step is to take off the front bumper brackets and have something else welded up to attach the car to the rotisserie. 

The battle(s) continue..!!! LOL
77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
My Garage
Kensey View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kensey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/10/2018 at 7:35am
I'm lovin' this build thread. HEY, are your I6 parts for sale?? Would like to hop mine up a bit. Let me know. Thanks!
Gremmy Power!!!
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/10/2018 at 12:15pm
Originally posted by Kensey Kensey wrote:

I'm lovin' this build thread. HEY, are your I6 parts for sale?? Would like to hop mine up a bit. Let me know. Thanks!

Not yet...
I still have a N.O.S. head and short block (258) that I want to put into something when I finish this. 
I still love the sound of a 6 cylinder through a set of long tubes and glass packs. Always will...
People used to tell me it sounded like a crop duster.... at full throttle..!!! LOL
77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
My Garage
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/11/2018 at 8:09am
Just spray some clear over it when done sanding.... would work if you were building a rat rod, but I hope not!!
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2021222324 101>
  Share Topic