TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

4.0 engine swap in a Gremlin

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RamblinAMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/11/2009 at 8:25pm
Thanks guys for all the great info!!! The first 4.0 I bring home this weekend is going into my 73 Jeep Commando.The next one that comes in will go into the Gremlin.A friend of a friend has a tow company and seems to get alot of Cherokees.He has 2 now,but one is spoken for.

Are the motor mount bosses on the block of the 258 and 4.0 the same?Can I use the stock mounts.I don't have the 4.0 here to compare but from looking at it yesterday,they look like they are close.

I am going to check out the AA setup too.
1963 Rambler American 330

1971 Hurst Jeepster

1972 Commando 4.0

1972 Commando 258

1975 Jeep J20 401
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/11/2009 at 8:32pm
YES -- the engine plates of the side of a 232/258 will bolt right onto a 4.0L. The front hole on the left side may be drilled and tapped for a larger size metric bolt. Just get a bolt to fit and drill the hole in the plate out. At least that's the way it was on the 87-90 4.0L block. That hole may not be drilled and tapped on the 91+, but should be. 
Frank Swygert
kirkwood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kirkwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/12/2009 at 11:09am
This is what I did for the CPS. I grafted a 42RE bellhousing section into my Lockup 998.

AMO Newsletter Editor
RamblinAMC View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RamblinAMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/13/2009 at 12:03am
That looks like a good way to do it.How did it work out?

So which trans do I have in my 73 with the 258? A 904 or 998?
1963 Rambler American 330

1971 Hurst Jeepster

1972 Commando 4.0

1972 Commando 258

1975 Jeep J20 401
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/13/2009 at 8:55am
It's a GOOD way, but you have to have the Jeep transmission. I just drilled a 1/2" hole in the old bell in the correct position and mounted the CPS over/through the hole. I then cut the brackets on the CPS down and tapped a couple of the small holes, and made little angle brackets to hold it in place. I slotted the holes in the angle brackets so I could adjust the depth of the sensor. The angle brackets were held to the bell using a couple self drilling hex head screws. If I had to do it again, I'd use a 93 Wrangler (YJ) sensor. It's round (I had to whittle the square plastic casing of the XJ sensor down a bit) and has one mounting screw. The bell is just drilled and tapped on the back side, should be easy to mount on an older bell. Wish I'd known the YJ was different back then!  Just make sure the hole for the CPS is in the right relationship to the screw hole. My mod worked, but this is much easier! You'll have to see it -- here's a pic from the 93 service manual:

Edited by farna - Jan/13/2009 at 8:56am
Frank Swygert
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/15/2009 at 5:52pm
How would one do this with a stick, and will the 4.0 accept an earlier flywheel/clutch, etc.
How would the sensor work on the stick flywheel?
Say for an eagle with a t5?
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/15/2009 at 7:00pm
Originally posted by billd billd wrote:

How would one do this with a stick, and will the 4.0 accept an earlier flywheel/clutch, etc.
How would the sensor work on the stick flywheel?
Say for an eagle with a t5?
Billd, I would assume you would have to get a flywheel with the pickup ring on it, and maybe get a YJ stick bellhousing? it would already have the hole and all that.......but problem is would the T-5 fit?
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/15/2009 at 8:49pm
The same sensor will work on a stick or auto, doesn't matter. The signal ring is made onto the flywheel or flexplate, and both are the same. The computer makes any adjustments. There is a manual and auto computer, but they can be interchanged. I'm using a manual engine computer with an auto now, but there ARE differences. The timing curve may not be the best, the only thing obvious though is the lower idle of the manual computer.

You can use either method to change either type of bell. The sensor just needs to be centered over the ring and all but touching it. If the sensor has the thin cardboard on the tip from the factory (should if you get a new YJ type as shown in the diagram) then you set it to lightly touch a high on the ring.

I modified a 79 multi-pattern manual trans bell (about 77-83 manual bells should all be multi-pattern) by drilling a 1/2" hole over the ring in the right clock position. You can be off about 1/16" to either side and it will run fine. Measure the center of a sensor on a YJ or XJ over to a bell housing bolt -- something that is in the same position on all AMC engines (since 72). That will tell you the clock position. Then bolt the flexplate or flywheel on and measure from the bell mounting face on the engine to the center of the tone ring.

The multi-pattern bell mounts a T-14, T-96, T-4, T-5, and SR-4. The hole in the center is SR-4/T-4/T-5 size, however. I mounted a T-96 on one and had to change the beraing retainer. I used one from a junk SR-4 and drilled it to fit the old T-96. I'm not sure is the T-14 used the same size retainer as the T-5 or T-96, or had a different size. I suspect it's the same as the T-5 though, the T-96 has a small one!
Frank Swygert
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/15/2009 at 9:05pm
Originally posted by farna farna wrote:

The same sensor will work on a stick or auto, doesn't matter. The signal ring is made onto the flywheel or flexplate, and both are the same. The computer makes any adjustments. There is a manual and auto computer, but they can be interchanged. I'm using a manual engine computer with an auto now, but there ARE differences. The timing curve may not be the best, the only thing obvious though is the lower idle of the manual computer.

You can use either method to change either type of bell. The sensor just needs to be centered over the ring and all but touching it. If the sensor has the thin cardboard on the tip from the factory (should if you get a new YJ type as shown in the diagram) then you set it to lightly touch a high on the ring.

I modified a 79 multi-pattern manual trans bell (about 77-83 manual bells should all be multi-pattern) by drilling a 1/2" hole over the ring in the right clock position. You can be off about 1/16" to either side and it will run fine. Measure the center of a sensor on a YJ or XJ over to a bell housing bolt -- something that is in the same position on all AMC engines (since 72). That will tell you the clock position. Then bolt the flexplate or flywheel on and measure from the bell mounting face on the engine to the center of the tone ring.

The multi-pattern bell mounts a T-14, T-96, T-4, T-5, and SR-4. The hole in the center is SR-4/T-4/T-5 size, however. I mounted a T-96 on one and had to change the beraing retainer. I used one from a junk SR-4 and drilled it to fit the old T-96. I'm not sure is the T-14 used the same size retainer as the T-5 or T-96, or had a different size. I suspect it's the same as the T-5 though, the T-96 has a small one!
I have a bellhousing from an eagle that was a T5.  its not a multi pattern.  those multi pattern bells are hard to find as well as any T5 AMC bell. I know, took me awhile to find one. and I was surprised to find one here where I live, it came out of a 1982 SX-4 and my car has a T-14 in it now, and if the T5 would fit, it would be known by now, but I believe the  newer 3 speed bell will work with the T5, but I dont know.....

Edited by purple72Gremlin - Jan/15/2009 at 9:10pm
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/15/2009 at 9:35pm
I was concerned about the flywheel, if it would fit, #1, and then if the flywheel could have a sensor added since I'm pretty sure this Jeep is a 2wd auto, so if I get crazy and jump to a 4.0, I'd not be getting the rest of the drivetrain.
Just curious as if the thing could be adapted to the older stick flywheel and bell.
I've got a couple photos of a really clever method of putting the sensor in almost any bell, nice bracket, etc. Just would need the exact clock position and to get the trigger on the flywheel.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic