TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

4.0 engine swap in a Gremlin

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote poormansMACHINE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/15/2009 at 9:43pm
The old flywheel doesn't have a trigger wheel so nothing to adapt to it. Without it the only alternative is the aftermarket harmonic balancer and sensor.
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/15/2009 at 10:02pm
Is the trigger made into it, or bolted on?
By the time you pay shipping, you have 300 into the adapter to move it to the front. YIKES!
I could probably find a flywheel that would work for that if it's not bolt-on.
There's an 87 4.0  for the price of their adapter.

Edited by billd - Jan/15/2009 at 10:04pm
poormansMACHINE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote poormansMACHINE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/15/2009 at 10:10pm
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/15/2009 at 10:15pm
Ah, so the flywheel itself is "notched".
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote poormansMACHINE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/15/2009 at 10:25pm
You could probably use one of these and mod yours.Wink

Edited by poormansMACHINE - Jan/15/2009 at 10:25pm
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/15/2009 at 10:32pm
I won't say the term I was thinking.
I was thinking more like a mortising jig.

AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote poormansMACHINE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/15/2009 at 10:41pm
Is that any relation to Mortimer Snerd?

Edited by poormansMACHINE - Jan/15/2009 at 10:42pm
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/15/2009 at 11:08pm
Originally posted by poormansMACHINE poormansMACHINE wrote:

You could probably use one of these and mod yours.Wink

LOL It would make nice notches!

Edited by purple72Gremlin - Jan/15/2009 at 11:12pm
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/16/2009 at 6:33am
I doubt my normal carbide tip router bits would be much good, however.
I wonder if a dovetail jig would work out with diamond bits?
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/16/2009 at 6:36am
Well, the only thing about "rolling your own" (using any method) is that the notches have to be precisely placed, and a precise width.

The 4.0L flywheels have notches, the flex plates have a ring welded perpendicular to the plate with square holes where the notches would be. You can use a 4.0L flywheel or flexplate with an earlier six (as early as 72) with no problem -- bolts right on. The stick is easy, just use the 4.0L pressure plate and get a clutch disc the right diameter to fit the trans shaft. Not hard at all, though might take a little research. The older model clutch may fit also. I don't recall what disc I used for the T-96, think it was a standard 4.0L clutch disc... may have been for an earlier Jeep. If necessary I still have the paperwork in a folder and could look it up.

For an auto you have to be careful that the torque converter isn't pushed back in the trans pump too far. When using an AW-4 flex plate with a 904/998 converter you have to shift the converter forward about 3/8". There are some nuts on the flexplate or converter that can be removed. I haven't done it, someone else relayed that info (after destroying the first pump -- changed pump, made the mod, and carried on in an Eagle). Or you can get a TJ flexplate and be done with it. They used a 999 which has the same style TC and flexplate as teh 904/998, but has the ring on the flexplate. For $75-$100 that's the way to go for an auto (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Jeep-Wrangler-TJ-Flywheel-4-0L-Automatic-Trans-97-02_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742Q2em153Q2el1262QQcategoryZ33732QQihZ008QQitemZ180317718104).

Measure for sensor clock position as I've already explained in earlier posts.

Note that the 87-90 Renix flywheel/flexplate is notched differently than the 91+ H.O. system parts. Renix has notches all around evenly spaced. The sensor doubles as an engine speed sensor as well as crankshaft position.

Edited by farna - Jan/16/2009 at 6:37am
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic