TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

which 6 cyl is in my 64 american wagon?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote auag85201 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: which 6 cyl is in my 64 american wagon?
    Posted: Dec/18/2017 at 3:47pm
on a 64 american 330 wagon...how do i tell what size 6 cyl is in it?....was 196 the only option or did they put others in it too?
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/18/2017 at 5:17pm
The 196 either flathead or OHV was the only engine available in the 64 Americans. AMC was only interested in the human race. Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
ramblinrev View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/18/2017 at 5:18pm
Should be the OHV 196 on a 330 wagon.
74 Hornet Hatchback X twins (since 1977)
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed (since 1981)
FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/18/2017 at 5:34pm
I am pretty sure that the flathead 195.6 was only on the 220 American. All others received the OHV.

I am also pretty sure the only 1964 model to receive the new 232 six was the Rambler Classic Typhoon. 1965 the 232 was expanded across all models and the new 199 became available that same year as well.  
1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
auag85201 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote auag85201 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/18/2017 at 5:41pm
thanks for the replies....is the 196 a pretty tough little engine?
FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/18/2017 at 10:12pm
Originally posted by auag85201 auag85201 wrote:

thanks for the replies....is the 196 a pretty tough little engine?
Yes. You're not going to blow it up so long as you maintain it according to factory recommendations if that is what you are wondering. It's one of those engines you can probably run flat-out floored nonstop and it'll just keep going. The biggest threat to a 196 is lack of proper maintenance, not how you drive it. That goes for most engines. 
1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
auag85201 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote auag85201 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/18/2017 at 11:10pm
the car has 3 on the tree...there is a pull cable under dash labeled overdrive..are these three speeds with overdrive pretty good trans?....is first gear synchonized?..it may be a while before i get it running as i have to scrounge up a few parts for it....everything under hood is intact except the radiator 
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/18/2017 at 11:21pm
maybe you should tell us a bit more about this car...

before you do much driving this thing i would strenuously suggest you do the following things:

* buy a technical service manual -- the factory one, not any aftermarket book, AMC only. you absoltely need this.

* with that, you need to re-torque the cylinder head. it was, 50 years ago, considered "maintenance" in spite of the fact that probably no one you'll talk to has ever heard of such a thing. it s a long story but well known that in this particular engine the headgaskets leak with leads to cooling system problems culminating in total engine faire when it's let go for long enough.

unless you know for certain that this has been done recently (eg. previous owner) you need to assume its not done. 

the rest are just "old car" things...

* change all fluids before you drive it, especially if it's sat. this goes for the gas tank -- old gas will ruing that engine in short order, days to weeks. this is a certainty. "old" would be, guessing, a year or more. if tis more than that do not start it at all on that gas. it must be drained!

* expect all of the rubber fuel lines to leak and fail. mostly just age, but the older hoses are not compatible with new gas. you can wait til they leak. there's some rubber hose where the tank meets the steel line, not miuch of it, but it is an annoying place to leak. 

that's a lovely car, good luck with it!

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/18/2017 at 11:24pm
Since no one seems to have recommended it it yet I strongly urge you to get a service manual for your car. They are available for about $40 from several sources including EBay.   It will be money well spent.
You have the Borg Warner T96 transmission with overdrive. First gear is not synchronized. On the grand scale of things they can be considered weak, but are adequate for the engine you have. They were also used in Studebakers and Early Ford Falcons, which should also give you a hint about their relative strength. I do also own and drive a Rambler Classic with the same model transmission.
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
auag85201 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote auag85201 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/18/2017 at 11:44pm
thanks for the replies...i just got the car..it has been sitting for years..i dont want to dump any money into it until i can get it running and make sure the motor is in good shape...i just need to scrounge up a cheap radiator to stick in it and get it running...its an arizona car so its pretty much rust free..looks like it has been painted once and its ready for paint again...lol
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic