TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Carter M6505 Fuel Pump Leaking

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Carter M6505 Fuel Pump Leaking
    Posted: Jun/03/2018 at 2:22am
Anyone ever have an issue with this fuel pump? I got a bad one recently. It was putting out 15 lbs. I didn’t have a spare, so I ran a return line and a bypass regulator I had. I’ll probably install my Aeromotive in tank pump eventually, so I didn’t mind doing it. That took care of the pressure issue, but today I put the rear of the car on jack stands and the thing started pouring fuel from the seam. It’s back on the ground now, and still dripping fuel.
1969 Javelin SST "Screamin' Banana" - Totaled Feb 2018
1973 Hornet Sportabout X "yellajack" - 360/727/TracLoc DAILY DRIVER
Red20 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/03/2018 at 7:23pm
Only one store within 30 miles had an AMC fuel pump. It’s a Spectra. It has some random part number on the box, but there’s a 6505 stamped on the side of the mounting flange. I would guess this one, Carter, and Airtex at the very least are all identical. I’ll swap it in a little later. I also suspect I have a bad power valve, so I picked up a 6.5 just in case. And more fuel filter replaceable elements.

Dirtydog View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dirtydog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/04/2018 at 6:34am
Read before I even started my car I sent my fuel pump out to then and now you can look them up online they seem to be able to rebuild anything and I'm happy with the job they did to mine it was a fuel pump vacuum combo they had no core in stock so I sent them mine had it back in less than 3 days very efficient
Red20 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/04/2018 at 5:51pm
New pump made a big difference for sure. Pressure gauge needle was bouncing all over before. Just a slight mechanical pump pulse now. I left the regulator and gauge in. The pump puts out just under 8 lbs, now regulated down to 6.5.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic