TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Transmission Fluid

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rambleman65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Transmission Fluid
    Posted: Jul/09/2018 at 11:26pm
What type of transmission fluid should i be using in my 1965 Rambler 440 with the 2 speed automatic transmission?
rocklandrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocklandrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/10/2018 at 12:44am
Any of the Dexron fluids should be OK and your trans is a 3 speed not a 2 speed.
Past AMC's
1974 Hornet X (new)
1975 Gremlin X (new)
1964 Classic 660 Cross Country
1965 American 440-H
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/10/2018 at 6:48am
Look at your shifter closely. It will have a "1" and "2" on either side of the "D". D1 is the first position. The trans starts in 2nd in D1. Pull it down to D2 and it starts in first. It only stays in first for a few seconds, to about 15 mph, but it definitely helps if pulling a load or for a slightly quicker take-off, especially up hill.

Start in 2nd was an economy measure. It also helps prevent wheel spin in slippery conditions, such as snow and ice. Takes off a bit slower, but people were more patient back then...  I always pulled mine into D2.
Frank Swygert
Lucas660 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucas660 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/10/2018 at 7:11am
D1 starts is first and D2 in second in my '64 Classic. Maybe there is different configurations?
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/10/2018 at 8:29am
Yup, goes through all three gears from D1, second and third from D2. I always take it to D1 but maybe the band wears out quicker that way. For me it's just too sluggish starting in second.
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/10/2018 at 9:54am
I was just at NAPA and after looking at the myriad of ATF on the shelf for some time I just asked the counterman was the equivalent was for Type A, Suffix A.  Well, after twenty minutes and resorting to someone with as much grey hair as me, I walked out with Dexron III.
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/10/2018 at 3:38pm
You must not have seen this sticky post near the top of this section, eh? ;-)

http://theamcforum.com/forum/amc-transmission-fluid-specs-all-autos_topic18057.html

As for starting in second, etc. - at least three wrecker drivers, delivery truck drivers, etc. have told me go in as high a gear as you can without lugging and you'll maintain better control in slick conditions.
They drove in all sorts of Iowa weather from blizzards to ice storms and their advice I have found sound - and it also worked for them. I never knew any of them to ever have lost control........... 
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/11/2018 at 6:16am
You're correct Lucas, I just got it backwards. D2 is the first drive position (from Park/Neutral).
Frank Swygert
Lucas660 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucas660 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/11/2018 at 8:51am
Originally posted by billd billd wrote:

You must not have seen this sticky post near the top of this section, eh? ;-)

http://theamcforum.com/forum/amc-transmission-fluid-specs-all-autos_topic18057.html

As for starting in second, etc. - at least three wrecker drivers, delivery truck drivers, etc. have told me go in as high a gear as you can without lugging and you'll maintain better control in slick conditions.
They drove in all sorts of Iowa weather from blizzards to ice storms and their advice I have found sound - and it also worked for them. I never knew any of them to ever have lost control........... 

The previous place I lived I could not get out of the driveway D1, would just spin the wheels. D2 was a great feature to resolve this issue. But generally here it is good driving conditions all year round, so once I was out of the driveway I went straight into D1.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic