TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Fuel and temp gauges inop - 63 Ambo

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 990V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fuel and temp gauges inop - 63 Ambo
    Posted: Jan/15/2018 at 10:51am
They worked last time I ran the car, must be three weeks ago.
Now, nothing.

The Gen light is on.
The gauge fuse is OK, well it has to be if the Gen light is on.
So I guess I need a new instrument voltage reg.

Galvin has NOS.
Rock have nothing.

Does anyone make these new?

Ivor
63 Canadian Ambo 990 V8 327
Lightweight V8 SIII
Shopping Trolley
SensibleSpectaculars View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SensibleSpectaculars Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/17/2018 at 12:10am
You can wire in a solid-state 5V voltage regulator to replace the old mechanical unit. I did this years ago on a Hornet and it worked well.
Lucas660 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucas660 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/17/2018 at 6:19am
Here is a how-to written by tomj here.
http://worldpowersystems.com/AMC/dashreg/
tomslik View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomslik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/17/2018 at 7:59am
Originally posted by Lucas660 Lucas660 wrote:

Here is a how-to written by tomj here.
http://worldpowersystems.com/AMC/dashreg/

I like the "you can get 'em at radio shack" comment.

no radio shacks around here anymore:(

67 american 290/4speed
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/17/2018 at 12:58pm
I'll build one for ya - I have the stuff....... (if I have an old housing, I know I have the internals as I've been working on replacement "guts" for charging system regulators.

(I also add capacitor to protect the regulator from spikes in the car's systems)
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/18/2018 at 8:47am
Bill -- you take the old bi-metal guts out and put a solid state regulator inside??
Frank Swygert
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/18/2018 at 10:30am
Yes. That way it plugs back into place like the original. Not that AMO judges would ever look back there - LOL - although if it was me judging, I might - ha - but that makes it easier.

Wish I had two or three of the old ones to make 'em up ahead. Maybe that's another thing I need to scour swap meets and shows for...........

Bob Mears View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Mears Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/19/2018 at 8:36am
can you make that same modification to a 69 AMX voltage regulator?
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/19/2018 at 9:04am
Originally posted by Bob Mears Bob Mears wrote:

can you make that same modification to a 69 AMX voltage regulator?

Yes.
Any of those that use the type of gauge that measures via heating instead of reading voltage can be done that way. 
The instrument cluster voltage regulator is actually more of a current regulator but the way things work out, it averages roughly 5 volts so regulating via solid-state technology works pretty well.

One way to test the regulator is with a test lamp - you are watching for it to flash on and off.
A volt meter works but it depends a lot on the meter - since the original works by opening and closing a set of points internally, the meter is actually "averaging" the output and that gets you about 5 volts on the meter.

The parts needed to make it work will fit into the original regulator "housing". 
Bob Mears View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Mears Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/19/2018 at 11:21am
When its working i can sit in the car with the key on and notice the dash lights flashing lightly. But it has quit doing that and the gauges have quit working now. So share with me how I do this repair please.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic