TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

fuel pump relay

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odd401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: fuel pump relay
    Posted: Nov/27/2014 at 4:27pm
Smile i have two different relays im trying to wire.not sure which will work better, one is a 4 pin w/30,86,85,87 stamped,the other one is 5 pin w/30,86,87,87a,85,anyone have a diagram to wire these for a electric fuel pump?
EagleFreek View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EagleFreek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/27/2014 at 5:05pm
Either one will work. 87A has 12v when the signal power to the relay(86) is deactivated and won't be used. Fused power from the battery to 30, power to the fuel pump from 87, ground to 85 and power from 12v switch to 86 to activate(energize) relay. A fuel pump oil pressure switch would be the safest. 

Edited by EagleFreek - Nov/27/2014 at 5:08pm
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear. SOLD
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon-As Seen On TV Lost in Transmission

odd401 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odd401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/27/2014 at 9:00pm
Smileok,thanks,do you run a ground from relay to the switch?or just ground to the body for the switch?im new to wiring,thanks
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/27/2014 at 10:31pm
Originally posted by odd401 odd401 wrote:

Smileok,thanks,do you run a ground from relay to the switch?or just ground to the body for the switch?im new to wiring,thanks

When I wired mine I did ground to body. I did not want to run any more wires thru the car than needed on my drag car.
I have the relay mounted to the trunk floor next to the batt. so only needed to run 1 long wire from IGN. switch to relay the rest are short wires, pump is mounted under trunk floor.
Dave ----
TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
EagleFreek View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote EagleFreek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/28/2014 at 2:41pm
Originally posted by odd401 odd401 wrote:

Like Fuzzface said, you can ground 86 right to the body and 12v+ when in the run and start position to 85. If you want you can use a hidden switch on the power or ground and use it as a security feature. The reason for using an oil pressure switch, is so if you are in an accident, hopefully the engine will shut off and with no oil pressure, the fuel pump will shut off so it doesn't feed a a fire with fuel. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/crt-a68301?seid=srese1&gclid=CjwKEAiA1-CjBRDOhIr_-vPDvQYSJAB48SmEiQGFj-TaH-1ZJMfD2Hke5RVaLXtRfuMtT_F_EjdLfBoCPeLw_wcB

Edited by EagleFreek - Nov/28/2014 at 2:44pm
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear. SOLD
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon-As Seen On TV Lost in Transmission

odd401 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odd401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/28/2014 at 5:43pm
Smilei understand now,i dont want to catch on fire if i roll it.thanks
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/28/2014 at 6:58pm
Because mine is a drag only car with the batt. in the trunk I have to have a cut off switch that shuts down everything electrical clearly mark OFF.

I guess if used on the street I would go thru a oil psi switch.
Wonder how they shut the pump off for the bolt on EFI systems does it pick up power from the dist.?
Dave ----

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
jeremy0711 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeremy0711 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/29/2014 at 9:40pm
Edelbrock and FAST have no interaction with the oil pressure readings. I think you can set it up on the edelbrock but I know you can on the FAST as its on my screen with no readout. If the edelbrock didn't get any feedback from the engine then the pump is suppose to shutoff. Now how long it takes to do that is unknown. i am sure you would have enough gas out to burn up. I am not sure about the FAST setup. It would probably be a good idea to wire it up through the oil psi switch on your own as the computer wouldn't know any difference.
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/30/2014 at 6:58pm
Originally posted by jeremy0711 jeremy0711 wrote:

Edelbrock and FAST have no interaction with the oil pressure readings. I think you can set it up on the edelbrock but I know you can on the FAST as its on my screen with no readout. If the edelbrock didn't get any feedback from the engine then the pump is suppose to shutoff. Now how long it takes to do that is unknown. i am sure you would have enough gas out to burn up. I am not sure about the FAST setup. It would probably be a good idea to wire it up through the oil psi switch on your own as the computer wouldn't know any difference.
I was not thinking that either one was tied into the oil PSI switch so if the motor was to stop running but key still on the pump would still be pumping fuel.

I was more thinking either or both got the "run" signal from the dist. and when the system did not get a signal from the dist. it would turn the pump off.
Dave ----

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic