TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

My 1967 AMC Marlin Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 17>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 Marlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My 1967 AMC Marlin Thread
    Posted: Apr/24/2015 at 11:58pm
Welcome to my 1967 Marlin thread! Hug

Always thought 1967 was the best model year for American automobiles; almost all of them look good to me, but nothing as cool as this! In 2015 I found my Marlin and had it trailered home. Photos and a little more info below. Please read on in the thread for more about all the fun I've had with my AMC.

My Marlin is #1762 with a production date of November 16, 1966. I found it in the Pacific Northwest. Talk about period correct, it even has an old peace sticker that's on the passenger-side visor. Maybe the Marlin made the trip from Seattle down to California during the Summer of Love in 1967? Here's the rest of the stuff this Marlin came with:
  • 343 high-compression V8 with Carter AFB carburetor
  • Floor-mounted console shifter
  • Twin grip differential with 3.15 gear ratio
  • Faria dash tach
  • La Scala fabric bucket seats
  • Power disc brakes
  • Power steering
  • Electric windshield wipers

I'm the third owner. The original owner passed away in 1987. His father kept the Marlin in his garage until 2003 when the second owner convinced him to sell it. But, the Marlin spent those years waiting to see the road again; it was driven only about 100 miles in all that time.

Edited by 67 Marlin - Dec/31/2023 at 8:27pm
dltowers View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dltowers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/25/2015 at 12:01am
Approve "Photos?"....
Original Owner, 1974 Javelin:
360ci,2v,727TC. Motorola Multiplex with 8-Track.
G4 Plum exterior with 421Q Black Uganda Interior. Purchased on July 16, 1974 from Hooker AMC, Sherman, TX for $4500.20
67 Marlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 Marlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/25/2015 at 12:19am
The Marlin arrived on the first day of Spring 2015; it had some nice travel companions.

Edited by 67 Marlin - Jul/25/2021 at 1:09pm
67 Marlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 Marlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/25/2015 at 12:28am
First inspection! Crawled under and saw 343 stamped on the block. The AFB carburetor number checked out with the TSM. Lots of new steering and suspension parts and no rust or scale in sight. Started the Marlin up for the first time since it arrived but it died the first three times. For the fourth try, I feathered the gas for a minute until the idle stabilized. The motor died a few more times while backing it out of the garage. I let it idle for 10 minutes while I took photos.

Drove into town to put 10 gallons of premium into the tank along with Torco additive. Measured for 95 octane to be safe since it's a high-compression motor. It drives nice, there's no body roll, and no clunks or ominous noises.

Edited by 67 Marlin - Aug/15/2021 at 9:14pm
george w View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/25/2015 at 6:50am
You may find that the choke is stuck which would explain the cold start difficulties you had starting it and keeping it running. Make sure the choke plate moves freely and snap closed when the throttle is opened a bit.
Good luck on your project and the car looks really good in that color combo.
Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.
ArnieG View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArnieG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/25/2015 at 9:10am
What a great looking car and color combo that will sure turn some heads real nice !!

Edited by ArnieG - Apr/25/2015 at 9:17am
Cape Cod, MA.
1970 AMX frost white/shadow mask
70RebelGeezer View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70RebelGeezer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/25/2015 at 9:53am
That's the car I always wanted, you lucky guy......very nice. 

It's a shame they quit making them.

Ron
'68 Rebel SST
Selling Bellcranks '67-69,'70-up big body cars
3rd gen. American with V-8 Bellcrank assemblies
Gremlin and Hornet Z-bar now available
Z-bar Bronze Bushing
Rebel Gas Tank Straps
greenamx View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenamx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/25/2015 at 10:01am
Wow that's a real clean car. I like it looking forward for when it's finished.
1971 AMX javelin 401
1966 Rambler American rouge
1966 Rambler American 360 4 speed
1974 Amc gremlin x factory 304 v8
1977 Jeep J20
1981 Jeep J10
67 Marlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 Marlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/25/2015 at 11:15am
Went through the stuff that came with and $6K in receipts. The big ticket items were the recent transmission rebuild, SMS upholstery (door panels and fabric and vinyl for the bucket seats), lots of suspension work (rubber and joints, new springs and shocks in the back, reinforced rear control arms, bushings, rear stabilizer bar, etc.), and NOS stuff like tail light lenses and grates, driver-side tail light housing, and various switches and a bunch of other cool stuff.

Edited by 67 Marlin - Jul/31/2021 at 5:05pm
67 Marlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 Marlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/25/2015 at 11:17am
Originally posted by ArnieG ArnieG wrote:

What a great looking car and color combo that will sure turn some heads real nice !!

Thank you, sir. The Marlin has received some compliments, and more people than I expected knew what it is. I prefer all red myself and am thinking of spraying it that way, but I want to keep the car original, too.

Edited by 67 Marlin - Jul/27/2021 at 6:54pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 17>
  Share Topic