TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Fuseable links

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrblatzman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fuseable links
    Posted: Mar/18/2018 at 2:23pm
I have owned my 73 Javelin for about 35 years and just noticed that the fuseable link to the horn relay has been replaced by two small wires..I looked thru my stuff and I have every link except the one I need...The tech manual calls for a pink colored one...I have a single wire harness NOS..I have no idea what it is for and it has the asbestos sleeve over it...but the link on the end about 6 or 7 inches is a pink fuseable link..
So I guess what I need to know is Do these things go by color and would all pink colored ones have the same resistance and voltage tolerance?????   Thanks   Bob
Thankyou....Bob
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/18/2018 at 3:06pm
I have harnesses I can harvest that from if you want - I also have two or three types of new link wire - I've have to check to see what I have.
But I KNOW I have good horn relay links - likely several of them.

If you want, let me know and I'll just send you one of my best, or new, if I have the correct link wire on hand.
mrblatzman View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrblatzman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/18/2018 at 5:17pm
Thankyou Bill....Probably should wait a day or so and see if what I have here is correct or not...If they go strictly by color, and this application says pink...I have a new one on that wire I have and it has the correct "O"  metal piece to go over the stud on the stater solenoid...Bob

Thankyou....Bob
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/18/2018 at 5:31pm
I've not seen a horn relay link that wasn't "pink" - in fact I don't recall AMC using any other color for the horn relay link, or the other nearly half-dozen links, including the one that supplies battery power to the cabin area.
Even the hood light link on the later cars was pink.
mrblatzman View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrblatzman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/18/2018 at 6:39pm
I looked in the tech manual, 2 different ones, a 1971 and a 1974...In the index for electrical these is a subheading just for fuseable links...It has a chart that lists what each one does and what color they are...There is a red, a brown, a pink, and a tan..and they all have different applications...I wish I knew what these wires I have were for with that asbestos heat shield on them...They have no part numbers and I don't recognize them...Bob
Thankyou....Bob
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/18/2018 at 6:46pm
LOL - I bet some of the red ones faded to pink. Gee, now I have to go look again - I don't recall any tan or brown but those may have been in other spots other than the ones all combined right at the starter relay. Now you are making me doubt my memory. 
I know I have some new brown. I tucked them into a drawer and don't recall the colors of the NEW ones I have.
But since I have a few harnesses in general if you need anything I'd bet I have it or can dig it up.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic