TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Upcoming Shows and Events
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

GAD 2018

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2018 at 6:36pm
So it's been a few hours now where are the picture!
JK I know everyone is at the after race party!
Dave ----
TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
amcglass View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote amcglass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2018 at 9:12pm
ANOTHER GREAT DAY AT GAD........ Mike and Crew awesome job and lots of Fun.    Thank youThumbs UpThumbs Up
Javmanpres

BBG Mark Donohue 401

74 Jav/AMX
71 Matador 2dr sedan delivery wagon
1902 Rambler Runabout   
70 T/A Javelin
pit crew View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote pit crew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2018 at 7:45am
Another GAD has come and gone.

Congrats to Mike Luke and his crew for yet another great job. A special thanks to his wife Elsa who works as hard, if not harder, as anyone to help pull off this event.

I hope everyone traveling had a safe trip home and those still on the road, yeah you Tony, are having a good trip.

Thanks to everyone who took the time to attend and support this wonderful event.

Car show results:

People's Choice - Tony Lucas - - - - 1970 AMX
     Gold Winner -  Al Spoden - - - -  1967 Marlin
    Silver Winner - Roger Boucher - 1968 American
 Bronze Winner -  David Baker - - - 1968 AMX

I don't have the race results but I am sure that Mike will get them posted soon.

It took some last minute sponsors to make sure that this years event even happened. A very big thanks to everyone who contributed in any way what so every. It is not too early to start thinking about what you can do to ensure this great event will be successful for 2019. No matter how big or how small it all adds up and any contribution helps.

What a great time catching up with old friends and meeting new ones. I think the time I spent with billd was the highlight of GAD for me this year. Hey Bill, next year right? It was nice to see how many forum members were there and identified themselves.

If I can get my hands on Javlynn Sue's camera I'll try to get some pictures posted today or tomorrow.

73 Hornet - 401EFI - THM400 - Twin Grip 20
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2018 at 9:45am
Silly me - was having too much fun, too much listening, learning, looking (and chatting) and never took a single picture even though my LG phone and tablet do GREAT photos and have tons of space. Yeah I brought a tablet so I could actually take and post - and never got it out.

Yeah what pit crew said......... 
It was definitely worth going. My wife said "300 bucks of gas and 24 hours on the road for a single day"? but yeah, I'd do it again. 
Now I know the area a bit - less likely to get totally lost, it will help. 

Several forum members were there and I was really glad to see that. It was good to see those I knew again, and good to meet others.

I can't say enough about the founder and his crew of helpers.
Mike makes it welcoming for all. Not a racer? He won't make you feel second class over it - no problem, then show or shop or just come and hang out.
No car ready? No problem - come anyway.
I picked up a three row core radiator that the core looked brand new for less than 100.  It was like a brand new core inside, and no bent or distorted fins at all. 
I have no clue about sponsoring - don't know what it takes, and I can't do a lot at all but I had given thought to doing something via the alternator/starter/wiper/blower restoration bit just to help out.
It's got to take a bunch of cash to do what Mike and crew does with that event - track rental, FOOD, drinks, ice, countless other materials, and did I mention food? How many events do you get to go to and have free lunch, all you can eat (and then some) and all the water and soda/pop you can consume?

I was extremely glad I went - the time spent talking with folks, and learning - wow. Priceless. I always enjoy hearing what pit crew and the others have to say or tell about, their projects and I do seriously always learn. That alone is worth it. I could have driven my Eagle out there and just sat and listened and it would have been worth the time. 

I have to mention something about the founder of this event - unlike some other events I've been to or know of - he isn't in it for himself, recognition or gain. That to me was evident. He involved others, he let others take parts of it and run with it.
Mike is one of those people who isn't a control freak with the event. He wants it to be about the people and the cars - no matter who you are. 
I was extremely impressed with the whole thing and how he handled himself and the event. 
There was truly something for everyone. It's just the kind of guy he is - not "political" about it, he made sure the sponsors were recognized, he was just very well run and put together. 
If it would grow a little bit in the car show and vendor/swap, it would blow some of the other events I've been to away easily. And I think that's due to Mike and who he has involved in it.

Oh, I learned a geography lesson at the party at Mike's place after GAD - 
I found out Canadians are from a place called "Canadia"
Yup, I heard it myself. 

I left home at 6:10 CST - after the nasty pot holes, road destruction areas, traffic snarls due to idiots, not accidents or construction, and all, I arrived in Columbus at about 7 pm Eastern time (6 CST so the ten hour drive took twelve - I was in a snarl, stop and go, mostly stop, in Eastern Indiana where the roads totally suck and so do the drivers) then on the west side of Columbus - watch out, they import drivers from Polk County, Iowa and they will kill you if they want your spot or lane)

Coming home not as bad, of course it was Saturday early AM - I left the Columbus area (Mikes driveway) about 6 am Eastern (5 central) and got into my own driveway at 4:30 central..
My GPS was smarter and brought me back into Iowa at Burlington so I could take 163 divided 4 lane pretty much all the way home - nice smooth road, no construction, no issues, fewer hills than I80

Anyway - I would like to do it again - sort of depends on where the 73 sits, the weather and all - but maybe drive the baby Eagle over and get 25 mpg instead of 11 and not deal with parking issues. I can park that anywhere I please with ease. Even if I bring the 70 I'd likely drive it because it has to do at least as well as 11 mpg. 
My wife asked if a person can put a small hitch on a car like the Javelin.......... well, I don't want to DRILL or WELD anything so I may think of it. I have that little white trailer I pull with the baby Eagle.

billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2018 at 12:59pm
Gathered receipts - $350 for gas for the trip.
I estimated what it will take to fill the tank up since I got back - since I left here with a FULL tank, filled just about 3 miles from home.
308 as it sits and by the time I top it off again so it's like it was before leaving, it will be easily another 40+ dollars.

And pit crew tells me my car needs some sort of traction control because if I mash it while going down the road it breaks loose and goes sideways. 
One reason I didn't want to race it, I knew it would spin into a wall as when it breaks loose under power it's not simple to steer out of it.
(The rear end always swings out to the right when I get on it.)
So he is going to cost me even MORE money because he gave me a solution to that problem -and if I go the route of swapping carbs......... 
pit crew View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote pit crew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2018 at 10:03am

73 Hornet - 401EFI - THM400 - Twin Grip 20
POS #1 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote POS #1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2018 at 4:10pm
  Cry That is what happened after i read your post Bill!     Thank you so very much for your kind words.
as you said, To Me it is about the friendships i have made over the years with my AMC friends, Not all of them are still AMC owners, but they are still good friends indeed.  so yes, cars are Great, but the friendships are #1 to me..
      Thanks Ken, aka PIT CREW for all your hard work, you do a wonderful job with the car show portion of the event, and you and Jim donate time and money to help the event continue..

Edited by POS #1 - May/28/2018 at 4:26pm
POS #1 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote POS #1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2018 at 4:13pm
GAD 17 Results!
We had 15 cars for the show car portion, Ran by Ken Walker.
people's choice award .... Tony Lucas (70 AMX)
Gold........... Al Spoden 67 Marlin
Silver..... Roger Boucher 68 American
Bronze.... David Baker 68 AMX...
Sponsors Choice 66 American

We had 39 cars that were issued Tech card to run down the track, 348 people attended, not counting us working the event.

your Race winners and awards go to...

Street Class.. sponsored by J & K resto mods
1st place Randy Piitz 69 Javelin
2nd place Jim Eastman 68 AMX
3rd place Amanda Hoover 78 Concord

Pro class
1st place Josh Carpenter 88 S-10 (AMC POWERED)
2nd place Eugene Chipps 70 AMX
3rd place Todd Blake 66 American

Stick shift class
1st place Bobby Johns 68 Nova
2nd place Ed Gardner 69 Mustang
3rd place Bryon Fontenot 73 Gremlin
Bryon also got 200.00 from Adkin's head service for the most rounds won by AMC bodied and powered...

2nd chance race.. winner take all.
Steve Obertanec

Edited by POS #1 - May/30/2018 at 7:11am
SC397 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SC397 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/04/2018 at 11:48am
Thanks to Mike and Ms. Mike for all of the hard work it takes to put the event on!

Some more pictures posted over here:
http://rebsamcandjeep.proboards.com/thread/975/gad-2018
AMXpower View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXpower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/19/2018 at 3:19pm
Thanks Mike you did a good job as usual and thanks for everybody who helped, I really enjoyed going!!   Great car turn out and saw some old friends!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
  Share Topic