TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

rear springs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69ambo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: rear springs
    Posted: Apr/01/2020 at 11:54am
Can anyone tell me where I might be able to locate a set of rear springs for a 69 Ambassador 3 seat wagon? I have tried Eaton spring they don't manufacture them anymore. Galvin's didn't have a listing. Or is there an alternative from another brand (I know this is sacrilegious)that might work?
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/01/2020 at 12:27pm
Try a truck spring shop that has been in business for several decades. Many have the specs for car springs also, going way back, and can build you a new set or can take your old set and re-arc them.
On my 69 Javelin the truck shop rebuilt mine, new sliders and straps, and installed on extra long leaf as the owner was very familiar with AMC's back in the day. Been very pleased. 
They have all the tools and material sources.
69ambo View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69ambo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/01/2020 at 12:59pm
Mine are coils I don't know if they can do anything like that to them.

Heavy 488 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy 488 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/01/2020 at 1:04pm
I believe those rear coils have been a dead issue for about the last 20 years
They're the same across the board from around 68 until the last Ambassador Matador Rebel built.
Best bet is a set of Air/Lift air bags inside the coils.
I'd have to look but I don't believe that AMC is listed any longer but it's the same part number kit as a Mitsubishi Montero because originally it listed both.
69ambo View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69ambo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/01/2020 at 7:24pm
Thank you I'll check that out.
401MATCOUPE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401MATCOUPE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/01/2020 at 7:37pm
I had Eaton Detroit make me springs for my 74 401 Matador X Coupe about 3 years ago,  and they are a bit tall.   I have a pair of NOS Rear Coil Springs I can look at for you, can't remember the application.  PM me if interested
Ross K. Peterson
68X,GoPac,343,AT,52A(1stCar)
68X,GoPac,390,4sp,52A
69X,GoPac,390,4sp,64A
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,87A,8
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,BBO,8
70 Jav SST,390,AT,BSO
74MatX,401,AT,Prototype
74MatX,401,AT
CARnivore View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CARnivore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/01/2020 at 7:38pm
Call Coil Spring Specialties and ask for the Rebel Machine spec rear coil springs which are really wagon springs. These are the correct springs you need. Heavy 488 is correct a Airlift # 60747 kit will fit these springs for additional support
69ambo View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69ambo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/01/2020 at 7:54pm
Thank you.I will definitely check it out. Thanks for the part number. 
Heavy 488 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy 488 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/01/2020 at 7:56pm
25 years back or so, I bought a new set of wagon springs, put them in for a few days, didn't like the stance and tossed them in my part stash. 
69ambo View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69ambo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/01/2020 at 8:02pm
Do you want to sell them? Please PM me.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic