TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Autocross, circle track
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Racecar building

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 262728
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote asifnyc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/29/2019 at 4:16pm
it's happening... the boy is 3 and am going to run the race car again for the first time since Nov. 2015 :)

April 11th at willow springs for the mopar spring fling.  excited to be at a track with OTHER AMC track cars!!!

here's the car running for the first time in 3 years

asifnyc.com
'74 Jav/'74 Mat Race
'73 Jav/'75 Grm street
'75 Grm, '62 Amer, '70/'71 Jav - projects
Javelin74 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Javelin74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/29/2019 at 5:10pm
Glad to hear you're going to be back at it soon!  As usual, I'm a few steps behind you.  Got an near-8-month old at home and a new house with a garage/shop project in the works until I can get the race car back together.  Once again, I'll live vicariously through your videos so make sure you have the Go Pro charged up and data logger running! Thumbs Up
GreggR View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GreggR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/29/2019 at 8:26pm
The Spring thaw is under way here at the North Pole... err... I mean Ohio. Hope to be flat on my back under the Hornet soon. So glad this thread got revived. Asif once again leads the way. The race Javelin is still beautiful. Javelin74, keep us posted...
No matter where you go, there you are... Buckaroo Banzai.'75 Hornet Hatchback
asifnyc View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote asifnyc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/08/2019 at 12:06am
thanks guys, leaving Wed. morning.  about 400 miles to Willow Springs. Not sure if there will be any other AMCs :(  there where THREE AMCs on track in October but as of last week none were signed up for this event. just my luck.

I've put new wheels/tires on the car.  was running 17x9 with Toyo RA1s.  Now running Enkei 17x9.5 (9.5 is max width for American Iron, not sure that matters anymore but anyhoo...).  And running Toyo RRs (a lot stickier than the RA1s). tire size is 275/40-17 for both the RA1s and the RRs.  with the wider rim though the same tire has a wider contact patch. so new setup nets me almost 2" more grip (.5" per corner) and the Enkei wheels are 20lbs lighter (5lbs a corner) the the previous wheels (Drag 31s).

The Enkei's are silver and I was planning to paint or powder coat them black in the future... but I've been surprised at how much I'm liking the silver wheels on the car.  I'll post a pic soon.

other than wheels/tires the car is basically the same as the last time I ran it.

oh, and for any future race car builders who stumble on this thread.  Do all your fender lip rolling/cutting BEFORE you do paint/bodywork :)

just cut everything out of the way that you possibly can even if you don't think you need to :)  

that's what I wish I did.

asifnyc.com
'74 Jav/'74 Mat Race
'73 Jav/'75 Grm street
asifnyc View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asifnyc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/13/2019 at 12:03am
of course, just my luck, NONE of the other AMCs showed up :(

car held up (mostly)... I'll get a write up on my blog at some point... the tires and tie-rods did NOT rub so that was a win...  about halfway through the day the car started popping like crazy... there was  a huge exhaust leak. pulled in the pits, Don opened the hood and immediately saw the problem.  I'm running edelbrock shorty headers and the drivers side flange sheared completely off the collector.

used some safety wire to make sure the exhaust pipe didn't fall down and kept running the rest of the day. I posted a couple of pics in the All Time Racing thread.

asifnyc.com
'74 Jav/'74 Mat Race
'73 Jav/'75 Grm street
GreggR View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GreggR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/13/2019 at 9:01pm
Despite the issues, had to feel good to get seat time... 
No matter where you go, there you are... Buckaroo Banzai.'75 Hornet Hatchback
asifnyc View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asifnyc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/26/2019 at 12:21am
finally got a blog post up about the visit to Willow Springs. considering going to a track day at Sonoma May 4th or 5th...  need to fix the broken header first...

asifnyc.com
'74 Jav/'74 Mat Race
'73 Jav/'75 Grm street
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 262728
  Share Topic