TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

74 Hornet project

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 222324
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Traveller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/08/2015 at 1:52pm
Thanks!   I just read on mine, that using "record for MMS" drops it smaller for sending as attachments.   Will see if it works.
Traveller View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Traveller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/14/2015 at 8:56pm
Been busy.   As of Monday, the car hit the road.   The Speedhut speedo is the CHEESE!   No more messing with cables, gears, pulse senders, magnets, speed senders in the trans, wiring under the car, pulse converters and microswitches on speedos, you get the idea.  Works like a charm and the car now has 12 miles on it!

The trans cross member needs some attention, as putting the mount to the rear of the trans and the extension to the cross member allows it to twist the cross member just enough to let the trans touch the cross member over bumps.   One of the little aluminum tabs hanging off the trans touches the crossmember enough to make a "tap, tap" when going over bumps.   I thought that might be an issue, but wanted to drive it first.   Will fix that this weekend.

Made a mirror base for the driver's side mirror and partially made the one for the other side.   The aftermarket mirrors that I wanted to use won't tip far enough to work with the very steep door sides on the Hornet, so I made a solution out of some bar stock.  Carved it with the mill, shaped it with my porting tool, then smoothed and shaped it with a 3M wheel on the grinder.   Quick buff with the polishing tool and then I mounted it.

Then a pic of the exhaust at the rear.   My wife liked these.

The car is now at the body shop.   They're going to do a color sand with very fine grit to get any orange peel under the rockers and quarters smoothed down, then they're going to do a complete cut and buff and detail before removing the swirls.  Should have the car back Friday evening.  

Going to address the cross member Saturday, and then it's on to the front spoiler mounting, right side mirror, driver's door panel, etc.    Quite a bit still to do, but it runs and drives and it's FUN!   Just starting to break it in, and it's already feeling like it has a lot of power.   Very nice driving manners also.   One other thing, the exhaust is a lot louder than I thought it was going to be.   We used 18" Magnaflow XL's, and they aren't a great choice for a hatchback unless you happen to LIKE having your head rattled at part throttle.   Full 2 1/2" system front to rear.   Tough to fit in there, but it's in.   Hard to take pictures of it until I can get it in the air.   Nice setup, not a great muffler choice.   There's enough room to put a set of 20" Dynomax Super Turbos in, so that's happening over the winter.  

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 222324
  Share Topic