TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Motorcraft alternator upgrade

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MD Racer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/19/2016 at 3:42pm
Can you get new pigtail connectors at the local auto parts store or do you have to cut them off a donor car? I did a Delco 10si swap on my Javelin and the pigtail is available at any auto parts store. What is the price of the Motorcraft alternator?
1971 Javelin
1971 Javelin SST
1971 Javelin AMX
BrotherBamc View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/20/2016 at 1:26am
Originally posted by MD Racer MD Racer wrote:

Can you get new pigtail connectors at the local auto parts store or do you have to cut them off a donor car? I did a Delco 10si swap on my Javelin and the pigtail is available at any auto parts store. What is the price of the Motorcraft alternator?

I got the pig tails off of ebay. They were about 9 bucks apiece shipped for free. I do not know if you can get the pig tails from an auto parts store, but I imagine that you could.
The alternator I got from Rockauto on wholesalers close out for less then 85 bucks.

Edited by BrotherBamc - Feb/20/2016 at 3:22am
77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
2006 Dodge Magnum R/T AWD
My Garage
Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/20/2016 at 7:52am
Looks good! I noticed you have two groove pulleys on both the water pump and crank. If you get a double groove for the alternator you can run two belts. You might get a little startup squeal from the single belt. I had different style brackets on mine so that's why I made new ones but yours works fine from what I can see. Did you have clearance issues with the oil pressure sender and the alternator? I had to put a 45° fitting in to tilt the sender back away from the alternator.

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/20/2016 at 9:59am
Thanks!
No issues with the oil sending unit, so far. You can see it in the first pic. Plenty of room.
The double groove pulleys were what came with the motor and I think that the belt is about an inch too long, but should work fine. We will see hopefully sometime late spring or early summer...
77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
My Garage
White70JavelinSST View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/20/2016 at 11:48am
Originally posted by Mopar_guy Mopar_guy wrote:

Here's an update I've been meaning to post. I added Vintage Air conditioning last year so  I had to rework my alternator setup a bit to accommodate the new compressor. I swapped the pulley for a double and eliminated the spacer to the head since the factory A/C bracket replaced it with a little shimming. The lower bracket stayed with no changes. The compressor adapter I got off of ebag was cr@p to say the least so I made my own with a minor change. I made the tabs that bolt to the compressor a little taller so I could get the compressor back further in order for the belts to line up properly, otherwise I could only get one belt on. The compressor was hitting the valve cover so by making it sit taller, it cleared the valve cover and allowed both belts to go on. Here's a few pictures.

Moparguy,

I had initially raised the Sanden compressor up to get away from the manifold too. But when I installed the radiator I discovered the upper radiator hose comes dangerously close to the compressor pulley. I found a cast iron adapter on Ebay that was supposed to fit trucks. It dropped it back down to the exact position I needed.
How is your radiator hose clearance, got a photo??

Armand
70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972
Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/20/2016 at 10:06pm
Armand,
Yes it was close but never hit. The new tabs I made weren't much higher than the ones on the bracket I bought. Here's a couple of pics I have.
Keith

Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/21/2016 at 5:16pm
Hey Keith...
Just wondering what you did with your old voltage regulator wires...???
Did you just tape them up and leave them or what?
Trying to figure out what to do with my old ones..
Thanks!
77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
My Garage
Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/21/2016 at 6:17pm
I did originally, but later when I went thru the whole engine harness I pulled them out.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic