TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > American Motors Corp., its history and more. > Dealerships - Nash, Hudson, Rambler, AMC, Jeep > Dealership Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

EPHRATA, PA DEALERS

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401MATCOUPE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/06/2014 at 5:42am
Kevin,

Great story,  I have the 60's service banner from that back service area above the Hudson Pick-up, it was Lee's and he told me it came from a Lancaster County AMC dealer!!!  It is a bit "worn" but still has the rope ties in the corners....I'll elt you look at it when you come down.

Ross
Ross K. Peterson
68X,GoPac,343,AT,52A(1stCar)
68X,GoPac,390,4sp,52A
69X,GoPac,390,4sp,64A
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,87A,8
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,BBO,8
70 Jav SST,390,AT,BSO
74MatX,401,AT,Prototype
74MatX,401,AT
rick_chase View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rick_chase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/07/2014 at 9:18am
It still surprises me that the two were able to hold out for as long as they did. It does make sense, the conservative cars being popular with conservative people. It's been enjoyable seeing AMCs often in the area, one even being once owned by someone I made friends with at Cocalico High School during track and field season.
stonedblue View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stonedblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/11/2014 at 1:01am
Thanks for putting this together, Kevin. Growing up in Ephrata and having my first ride come from 'Slim' Jim  at Ephrata Rambler, I have many fond memories of both dealers. The Hudson pickup made me fall in love with them. Still is my dream to own one. As a side note to all those from outside this area, 'Slim' Jim Meyers is still in the car biz with a used car dealer here in Ephrata with roots almost as deep as Rambler, and he still drives an American!
I can build an engine, but, I can't drain oil without a mess.'04Ram,'99Plym.Van,"96Exploder,'79Dodge pickup, '71Jav. '68Jav, and '90 Gold Rush trailer
kcsamc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kcsamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/11/2014 at 6:53pm
Ron, glad you liked it. For additional footnotes, Jim Myers actually fully retired from the car business in the past six months and moved to a retirement home, now in his 80s. He still does drive his '66 American though! Today I received a "house call" from former Wissler's American owner and longtime mechanic, Roy Bird as he gave us a hand with pulling the rear apart on the SC/Rambler, so we still can get a little bit of that great AMC service when needed!

If you have any memorabilia or pictures to share from either dealer, send them to me in a PM, and I will add them to one of the original posts.
Kevin Shope
1964 Classic 660
67 Rogue 290-4V 4spd Conv
A-Scheme SC/Rambler (69 SC JOURNEY)
macdude443 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote macdude443 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/25/2017 at 9:17pm
Fantastic read. I realize this is an old post, but I wanted to share something I found today at an antique store in Carlisle. I had to pick it up. I grew up outside of Reading and have been a frequent patron of Record Connection in Ephrata for many years. We actually drove through last weekend and saw a beautiful copper colored Eagle wagon parked in a driveway along 322. Anyway, enjoy:

1982 Eagle SX/4
1986 Eagle Wagon
1985 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
rich440 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rich440 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/17/2017 at 12:14pm
I worked as a District Mgr. for AMC/Jeep out of the Zone office in King of Prussia, Pa. I hired on in March, 1977 and had the Harrisburg, Pa. district which covered from Harrisburg up to State College, down to Gettysburg and east to Coatesville. 

I remember both dealers in Ephrata, Pa. very well. I met Clay Huber in April 1977 and remember his warranty labor rate was $8.00 per hour which even back then was low. I was warned by management that Clay was a "character"...which he was. When I arrived, I was a young guy aged 23 and Clay was upset that I was so young and unwilling to climb under the cars with him to work on them. Our jobs were administrative...however, he wanted a tech rep....like he had in the 1950's. His shop was very aged and cluttered and reminded me of something out of the sweatshop era. It's likely the building was from the 1920's or so. Inside the showroom, he still had auto phamphlets from the late 1960's and became annoyed when I suggested he display the current 1977 posters. The other thing I remember is that when I was in his shop speaking with him - a horse and buckboard drove by...and this was 1977 not 1877! He calmly mentioned that they were "horse and buggy Mennonites". 

I then went over to Wissler's AMC which was unique as there were two AMC dealers within 2 blocks from one another in the same town. Very unique due to AMC buying out Hudson and Nash....thus two dealers in Ephrata, Pa. Wissler AMC was more of a standard dealership-much more modern and well equipped that Huber Motor, Co. I remember Jimmy who basically ran the dealership and was surprised to see that many of their newly sold cars were then painted black wherever there was chrome. Certain sects of Mennonites were permitted to drive cars, however, they needed to be made "plain". Jim had a fuel heater that used waste oil and in that he would cook his lunch, which that day was a potato. I went into town for lunch, however, it was Wednesday and all the shops were closed for religious reasons. I then went to a Pa. Dutch restaurant nearby and enjoy lunch along with shue-fly pie!! Oh the carbs!!
kcsamc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kcsamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/17/2017 at 9:25pm
rich400:

Thank you for adding some great color commentary regarding these two dealerships!  It adds to recalling the great and unique nature of these two businesses.

Well, it is 40 years since you first visited Huber's but on any given day in 2017 you will still see a horse and buggy or two still pass by the old building.

The "special" black cars you saw were for what we call the "black bumper Mennonites".  today they are still that way, however with cars not having chrome bumpers anymore - they are not near as obvious!  Probably noteworthy today is any Sunday morning, the percentage of black fullsize and minivan sized vans are probably north of 50% heading off to Sunday services!

Thanks again for sharing the memories!
Kevin Shope
1964 Classic 660
67 Rogue 290-4V 4spd Conv
A-Scheme SC/Rambler (69 SC JOURNEY)
rich440 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rich440 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/23/2017 at 6:21pm
Hi Kevin, 

So glad to hear that the horse and buggies are still in use today - I hope that mode of transportation goes on for another 100 years. Also appreciate the explaination of the "black bumper Mennonites"....some things stay the same in Ephrata, Pa. and that is wonderful! I value solid traditions.

Best regards, Rich
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic