TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

A 1976 Hornet Sportabout

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dltowers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/20/2014 at 12:59am
Very nice work John.
I am proud of youThumbs Up....
Original Owner, 1974 Javelin:
360ci,2v,727TC. Motorola Multiplex with 8-Track.
G4 Plum exterior with 421Q Black Uganda Interior. Purchased on July 16, 1974 from Hooker AMC, Sherman, TX for $4500.20
uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/21/2014 at 6:38pm
As in all cases of assembling things from generally questionable sources, the engine has been assembled from not only it's original application of a Mercury Marine stern drive motor but the bits and pieces that make up the accessories mounting brackets originally graced a 305 cu in Pontiac fire bird for the most part and it was a tuned port fuel injection engine, a number of parts were purchases deeply discounted from swap meets.  The hardest part was finding all the brackets required to mount the A/C compressor and to mount the power steering pump with out interfering with the steering box. Then as tune port brackets fit the bolt holes, they had a lot of metal on them that no longer were of any use except to get in the way and a couple of days with a cut off tool were spent taking the ugly out of them.  The alternator (swap meet) turned out to be bad, so it was replaced with alternator (garage sale). The power steering unit was resolved by using a remote reservoir pump for the size and a remote reservoir chrome tank along with the radiator over flow tank which could be mounted on a fender well. Brackets were available to do this with which helped with  fitting these things.  The intake is an air gap unit, of unknown manufacturer but stamped made in China.  But looks suspiciously like an Edelbrock. The carburetor is a Carter 800 cfm Thermoquad mounted on heat insulator material.  I gets hot here and if excess heat is removed from the carburetor it will not be upset by being caught in a traffic jam on a triple digit day and begin to lean out.  The side affect is though it becomes a cold blooded thing and it takes just a bit before the engine gets warm enough for proper fuel atomisation through the intake. The exhaust manifolds are OEM Corvette units and used because it fits like a glove and the pipes no longer interfere with the rest of the suspension or body parts. The Camshaft is from Iskenderian and is a flat tappet dual pattern 270/280 duration hydraulic cam topped off with an OEM 1969 points distributor from a 1969 Camero. The heads are World Heads and are specked out as DART II heads which at the time were made by World. The short block is a 350 cu in marine short block with about 8.5:1 compression but with the heads offer right around 9:1 which is perfect for the available 91 octane premium sold in the area. 
The transmission is a 700 R4 with a Road Runner 2200 RPM Stall converter, purchased as a used but working transmission, a  soft rebuild was done on it and a local drive shaft shop modified the drive shaft to work with the AMC 15 rear axle of about 2.7X:1.  A lokar kit to attach the Lock Up torque converter operation to engine dynamics and the shift linkage to the transmission were installed.  All said and done?  It all fits and works. 
70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
76 Hornet, 5.7L Mercury Marine Power
80 Fuel Injected I6 Spirit
74 232 I-6, 4bbl, 270HL Isky Cam
uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/21/2014 at 9:09pm
Recently there was some effort made to finalize the tune on this engine.  A modified engine has no factory specifications that need to be adhered to but things like starting with some where around 5 degrees advanced is pretty standard and at least getting idle down around 1500 while trying to figure out what is or is not working. 
After determining when I rebuilt the distributor I screwed up which caused more problems that I want to admit to, I finally got the timing set where it seems the engine wanted it to be at and the idle down around 800 rpm, I have a dwell meter I made years ago to set dwell with and a tachometer along with a vacuum gauge and a dial back timing light. A Vacuum gauge used correctly gives feed back as to what the engine wants to see as an adjustment in many cases so using it and other tools I finally got the timing set about 8 degrees advanced and idle down around 800 rpm and the manifold vacuum reading seems to be about 11 inches of mercury which is about where this cam is going to let it be.  Some final tweaking is needed, but now it starts instantaneously, as soon as the choke warms up (electric) fast idle starts down, the electric fuel pump holds 5# of pressure at the carburetor and the timing is not quite where I want it to be but the idle roll as a function of cam shaft specifications is audible, and it is beginning to fall into play. Throttle responce is "NOW" and that is a good thing.
I will have to check the vacuum advance can and see what the vac specifications are that is on he can.  I want one that shows about a 9 inch of vacuum as a requirement for the beginning of vacuum advance starting which is about 2 inches below that which is measured at idle.  Of course this distributor is calibrated for ported vacuum, so I will have to recheck the value after I measure the ported vacuum at idle.  Forgot about that. 

I think this is going to turn out to be a good choice. A good street motor wants maximum fuel economy at cruise related speeds or rpm's and that can happen if you have a maximum amount of advance the engine can stand with out pinging at an off idle rpm and as much advance dialed in at a cruising speed as controlled by the vacuum reading obtained there with the spark retarding as load steps in.  Or so the theory goes. 
The fuel tank was pulled and cleaned and it did not need much, a new float for the tank sending unit and a new sock took care of filtering. 
70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/03/2014 at 10:10pm
A lot of minor issues have been addressed, so the last two days were spent removing interior door panels and the rubber weather seal, vacuuming out 40 years of desert dust and dead window track material in preparation for installing new.  Typically the driver's side front door window crank had taken a beating, found my coffee can full of them and one better grade ready to go back on. Next wash, clean lubricate and install all new window track along with the fuzzies. Then "Jam" with new body color and re-install things.  The door panels and arm rests need to be cleaned thoroughly and probably will use "Spray Nine". Also located the pieces for the windshield frame.  The plastic has not fared well in the desert heat and is brittle. I have some spare pieces, I'll have to see how good they are, or repo them in fiberglass. 
The rubber filler pieces for the rear bumper are complete and in house, the filler piece for the front bumper is on it's way. Also replacement pieces that fit on the trim between front and back door and over the rug are also here.  There will be some need for SEM products to dye the parts the correct color but that is doable. 
Sound/heat insulation will be installed in the doors to make them quieter, and help the a/C from beating itself to death. 

Edited by uncljohn - Oct/03/2014 at 10:13pm
70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/11/2014 at 9:17pm
Comming up on Christmas, I had hopped to have the Car painted by now, but along with that not happening I have lost my computer due to massive failure and discontent.  But the doors now have all been jammed and the window tracks replaced with new, and the moving parts greased with Mobil 1 synthetic greases and they work like new.  The doors now have new insulation both heat and thermal, various knobs have been replaced or repaired in the interior or fabricated from some other use as the help section of the auto parts stores no longer carry appropriate vintage AMC parts any longer.  A new grill is being fabricated thus the parking lights will be behind the grill and are Harly Davidson turn and parking lights.  A day night mirror and an appropriate knob found at he swap meet last Sunday so now those things are are done. the passenger side exhaust manifold is now an OEM unit to match the drivers side and all the ugly has been ground off.  OEM works and clears the under hood and chassis parts. Final tune has taken place. The cam is a split duration cam with quite a bit of duration.  Lift is under .500 so OEM valve train will work with it with out a problem. The carburetor, a Carter 800 CFM ThermOquad with an Air Gap intake, along wit World Cast Iron heads along with the 8.5:1 Short Block CC'd out to about 9:1 Compressionm, a number that is very acceptable with the maximum available 9:1 premium pump fuel in this area. The distributor, a 1969 vintage unit with premium performance points all tunes out to an idle of about 800 rpm, some where around 8 inches of vacuum, 10 degrees before TDC and the distributor running off (for the moment) ported vacuum along with the lock up torque converter function of the 700 R4 Transmission. Instant throttle responce and what appears to be civil road manners will get a work out when the exhaust system gets installed with a cross over, either H or X, don't care, but should find out shortly when I get the car there.
That will take the bark out of the exhaust. 
More later with Pictures when I get my computer bac,

70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/13/2014 at 8:17am
Lokar makes specialty parts to aid in modifying things. I have use Lokar kits for transmission linkage to carburetor and to adapt the column shift of my Hornet to the 700R4 transmission. Recently I used the dip stick kit to all fire wall mounting of the transmission fluid level and another to install on the engine to obtain oil level.  The oil pan on this motor is the Marine Oil pan as used by Mercury Marine for their version of the 4 bolt main block with an OEM windage tray.  The Oil Pan is a 7 quart pan (with filter) and the Lokar dip stick works well.  Having these things available makes a big difference in having things work correctly.
70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
ramblin64sw View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblin64sw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/13/2014 at 9:07am
Lokar makes a great product. They have an excellent fit and finish. I recently installed their universal throttle cable on my car. I needed a little extra length for the dual weber's. It mounted to the firewall and stock pedal without any complications. Just had to make a bracket for the other end. Do you have any recent pics? Or have you been to busy working on the car?
uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/17/2014 at 1:01am
Originally posted by ramblin64sw ramblin64sw wrote:

Lokar makes a great product. They have an excellent fit and finish. I recently installed their universal throttle cable on my car. I needed a little extra length for the dual weber's. It mounted to the firewall and stock pedal without any complications. Just had to make a bracket for the other end. Do you have any recent pics? Or have you been to busy working on the car?
I have some recent pictures, but unfortunatly my computer crashed and it is being rebuilt and I am unable to post them at the present. This of course has enabled me to do some clean up work here and there on the car.  I want to be able to drive the car to the closest muffler shop and have a muffler system installed on the car.  This required changing the passenger side block hugger header which intially was installed as a pair, but on the drivers side it interferred with the steering column. I located a factory "Ram Horn" manifold as used on the Corvette which provided clearance and when the ugly was ground off actually looked pretty good.  So I located another for the passenger side and processed it and installed it with a temporary muffler hook up to enable the car be transported.
And small interior things were handled too while getting ready for Christmas.  When I get my computer back I will up date pictures.  Essentuall that of insulating the doors for heat and noise and paint the doors and door jams in preparation of actualy painting the car.
And you are right, Lokar makes a very usable product. It made things easy to modify for installation.
70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/04/2015 at 10:51am
I just returned today from the once a month Sunday Morning automotive Swap Meet which I attend faithfully to see if there is anything AMC or at least useful to me for one and while it started at 5 am and it was both dark and 35 degrees out when I got there, as typical there was nothing AMC in sight! But if you wanted to build a Sprint car from scratch, today was one stop shopping day. But as to the AMC I found a reasonably priced Holley Blue electric fuel pump and regulator to replace (eventually) the inexpensive electric pump currently installed which works, but is basically only applicable to about a 170 or so HP motor and as I am shooting for a 425 HP motor I do not need to get into a lean condition which favors detonation which does not play nice with pistons. Been there and done that. I also found a hard to find reproduction part to replace the often destroyed column gear shift knob on the middle 70's or so AMC cars. The help section of the auto parts stores no longer carry one that may or may not work, but is where I was getting them before. The middle 70's or so AMC car uses a GM column and the GM reproduction knob, 67-7213 for '67-70 Chevrolet/GMC truck, '73-78 Chevrolet/GMC Truck, '68-72 Chevrolet passenger car (all) 3 speed or automatic transmissions. Shift knob, black reproduction knob will work and this one will go on my Hornet Hatch back. I have used them on Spirit and my Sportabout so far. And it works. Also they had available the reproduction fuel tank sending unit float available. It also works, but I have a few of them on the shelf and do not need more at the moment. The are about $8.00 a piece. I have some on order through the local Ford obsolete parts also which should be available in February. So all in all it was a good swap meet. But next week the Pomona Swap meet in Phoenix will be held, a 2 day affair on Saturday and Sunday. I usualy go to it, but again, rarely see anything AMC, although 2 years ago I found used GM Seat Belts that were an exact color and match to the ones in my Spirit and purchased them. So far no one has noticed the Chevrolet emblems on them and they are new and clean and the old ones were neither.
70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic