TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

65 Rambler Classic 660 Cross Country

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 121314
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RebelRay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/30/2017 at 6:17pm
Date code says 2010. Older than I hoped, but still usable. Thanks for pointing that out. I hadn't even considered the age of the tire.
RebelRay View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RebelRay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/06/2018 at 1:08am
Progress slowly marches forward. Finally got a couple days to spend at my parents place and work on my poor, neglected wagon. I very well may have totalled my daily driver yesterday, so I really needed a pick me up.

What better way to spend the day than fumbling your way through an auto to manual transmission swap.

I relieved the Classic of its automatic column and pedals and installed the "new" 3 speed column and manual pedal assembly. Both of which took far longer than expected.

For anyone considering a column swap in these cars, just know that you will need to remove the steering gear box from the frame so you can slide the steering shaft out of the column assembly. It's all one big rod all the way to the steering wheel. Once the rod is out, you can naughty bit the column assembly to the side in order to clear the shifter cam through the firewall.

The pedal assembly went pretty smooth except the previous owner had the clutch linkage arm on backwards, so I was puzzled as to how the assembly was supposed to fit around the column. I felt pretty dumb once I figured it out.

Tomorrow I'll be working on the z-bar and hoping the rain holds off!

farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/06/2018 at 5:56am
I've removed a column without removing the steering box, but I think the front seat was out. Tough to do -- probably easier to drop the steering box and at least pull it part way out!
Frank Swygert
RebelRay View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RebelRay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/06/2018 at 11:45am
You must be a magician (which I don't doubt)! Even after I pulled the steering rod out of the column, I had to put the column at a 45 degree angle to get the shift cam through the hole in the firewall. Had to do the same to get the "new" column in. Luckily, the gearbox came out easily enough.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 121314
  Share Topic