TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

New to the straight six

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/04/2014 at 10:47am
An I6 with a good exhaust sounds better than a V8, but an I6 with a crappy exhaust is the worst sound ever.

An I8 with a good exhaust sounds better than a V8, though.

A friend of mine has a 1952 Buick Fireball I8 with a glass pack. Best sound ever.

1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
Slate View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/04/2014 at 1:08pm
The exhaust has to be thought through. If you do a header with single outlet, the best exhaust from there is a large single pipe for a foot that then Y's into two pipes, either side by side or on opposite sides depending on space. I have a side by side exhaust in my garage from a previous car with built up 232. Then the side by side can feed into a dual inlet muffler with a single outlet. The single outlet can feed into a single pipe into a dual Monza tip exhaust tip set.
 A Monza type has asingle inlet with twin outlets that are chrome tips. The chrome tips have built in resonators. What all this does is to smooth out some of the hollow deepness that come with a single large diameter pipe and tunes out some the choppy raspyness of a six into one exhaust and refines the sound. Now you have a sound that is a cross between a V-6 and an older straight six BMW.

Steve
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic