TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1962 american 400 master brake cylinder

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62ramblin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/01/2014 at 6:53pm
I've gotten two from rock auto both leaked
Tried rebuild kit it leaks all three in floor of car now ...junk
Sundance I would like to do what you did
Can I buy your old one ?
9288462620 in Arizona
MARTINSR View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MARTINSR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/01/2014 at 7:02pm
Originally posted by 62ramblin 62ramblin wrote:

I've gotten two from rock auto both leaked
Tried rebuild kit it leaks all three in floor of car now ...junk
Sundance I would like to do what you did
Can I buy your old one ?
9288462620 in Arizona

Holy cow, never had anything like that happen before.

Did you put new fluid? Did you flush the system? I don't think that would matter but I am just wondering, this is pretty odd.

Brian
1959 Rambler American daily driver. And I mean EVERY SINGLE day.
MARTINSR View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MARTINSR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/01/2014 at 7:04pm
Originally posted by sundance sundance wrote:

Hi Carl: I just installed 1979 AMC Spirit front disc brakes on my 62 convertible. It was by far the easiest thing I have done to car and a true bolt on. The master cylinder ( none power) I used is off 1970 Dodge Super Bee with disc/drum set up. It is a 4 bolt mount, I just had to open up holes a tiny bit. The master cylinder has 2 setting on push rod. You will have to move brake lines to other side of master cylinder. I spent more time testing master cylinders than it took install disc brake set up. Mopar used the 4 bolt master cylinder to about 1974 and have drum or front disc set up. I paid $ 75.00 for disc brake set up with spindles  and $ 47.00 for new master cylinder. Car stops great! I have old master cylinder if you want it.  Gary   

I don't sweat too much about that. Maintain it, keep an eye on the system, used them on a few cars driven daily. 

Brian
1959 Rambler American daily driver. And I mean EVERY SINGLE day.
62ramblin View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62ramblin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/01/2014 at 7:37pm
Gary
I went down and got the Mc for 1970 coronet and yes sir it does seem to fit
Now what and where did you get the disc setup
Seems like I maybe closer now
62ramblin View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62ramblin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/01/2014 at 7:46pm
Yes I used new fluid and had been driving car till leak started now it's a can of worms so far
sundance View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sundance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/01/2014 at 10:09pm
Hi Carl: I bought the brake set up from wrecking yard. You need to unbolt  spindle along with the rotors and calipers, take everything you can.  I believe 1979 to 1982 Spirit or Concord are the same. You should be able to find a Spirit or Concord they made a lot of them. Also don't worry about the shape of brake rotors and calipers they are pretty cheap. Frana on here has a list of donor cars that will also work. I have been picking Franks brain for years. He's the man when it comes to AMC.  Gary 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic