TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

rear speaker deck for rebel/ambo

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Machine.Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: rear speaker deck for rebel/ambo
    Posted: Oct/19/2014 at 8:47am
So I want to replace the old speakers in my 70 ambassador because the speakers have basically disintegrated. I measured the diameter of the original speaker to be 7". But I can't find a new speaker that will drop in. I do not want to cut the rear deck at all.

Does anyone know where I can pick up some new speakers?
Charlie Brown View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/19/2014 at 9:46am
1970 rear deck speakers were 5 1/4 inch speakers, take one down to your local Car stereo store and have them match one up. Don't let them talk you into the $120 pair tho'Wink

Marc 
Invest in rare metals, buy a AMC
74' Matador Coupe
06' MINI Cooper
14' Nissan Versa Sedan
Machine.Ben View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Machine.Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/19/2014 at 9:48am
I had a spare 6.5" set at home and they do not fit. They will fall right through the opening.
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/19/2014 at 11:20am
I bet sometime in the past somebody cut the rear deck to put a set of 8 inch speakers in the back. I parted out a Matador Coupe back in the late 90's that someone cut and put 12 inch subs in the rear shelf.  Still see what the local stereo shop has to say.

Marc
74' Matador Coupe
06' MINI Cooper
14' Nissan Versa Sedan
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Machine.Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/19/2014 at 11:26am
It sure don't look cut up. I will take a photo and post it after work.

If someone did cut it they did one heck of a good job lol
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Machine.Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/20/2014 at 8:33pm

Here are the pictures. It sure wasn't cut up
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/20/2014 at 8:43pm
You are right those are not cut up, that is a factory press cut.  Ok measure the diameter of the hole and then head down to your favorite car stereo shop. speakers will mount below the rear deck. Most car audio speakers today have a tweeter mounted in the middle of them. If you mount them above the deck they will not clear the plastic rear deck cover.

Marc
74' Matador Coupe
06' MINI Cooper
14' Nissan Versa Sedan
Bart R. Orlans View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bart R. Orlans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/21/2014 at 7:49am
A stereo shop could also hook you up with adapter rings to bring that hole down to a size that there are more speakers available in or you could make them yourself out of MDF if you are handy with a jig saw.
Bart R. Orlans

They call me daddy at home
Red Rebel View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Rebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/21/2014 at 9:20am
Bart is correct. I just went through this in our Machine. The MDF board worked great as an adaptor. Painted it black, mounted 6.5" speakers to them and mounted to the underside of the deck. No problem with the clearance. Looks factory.
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Machine.Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/21/2014 at 12:05pm
I'm thinking a piece of plywood is the route I'm going to take. Ultimately comes down to money and it's something no one is going to see.

Thank you everyone! Much appreciated
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic