TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Vapor lock? on a 1982 Eagle

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chp eagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vapor lock? on a 1982 Eagle
    Posted: Oct/23/2014 at 3:41am
Hello, I have a Problem when I am in slow crawling parade and its 90+ outside . I have a loss of power like no fuel. the fuel return line is ok but I haven't checked the flow out of it yet. Has any one tried to shield the fuel lines? under hood temp gets pretty high. have a new record radiator so no overheating problems. Any suggestions.
maximus7001 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maximus7001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/23/2014 at 5:10am
Make sure the return line is at the highest point on the filter possible.  If you ever change the return line you have to recover the check valve that is inside the return line and put it in the new line in the same direction.

Many Eagles, Concords and Spirits went to the junk yard because of the loss of this check valve.
1968 Javelin SST

1997 GMC Safari AWD

2001 Daewoo Nubira SX (Winnipeg only model)

1997 Honda Accord EX (Canadian Model)

Winnipeg, home of the Jets.
chp eagle View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chp eagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/24/2014 at 3:23am
You know your stuff. I checked out the line and no check valve must have taken it out a long time ago not knowing what it was. The part # is 323 2144 Know of any one who has them? Thanks for Quick and knowledgeable answer.
Pdok View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pdok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/24/2014 at 7:13am
There are fuel check valves on Amazon or eBay that will work.  They aren't hidden in the hose the same way, but just size it to the fuel line.

For what it's worth, i had a somewhat similar issue for a few days with my 76 gremlin, until I realized I'd actually reversed the return and vent line to the fuel tank.  Under part throttle and low speed (like pulling away from a stop sign at about 5-15 mph), when the vacuum is very high, I was actually sucking fuel vapor (and a little liquid) from the tank into the charcoal canister, then into the PCV vacuum line which fed into the intake directly under the carb.  The result was a chug and loss of power due to richness.  If I went full throttle, it disappeared, and it would actually idle just fine.

The fuel exhaust odor from richness would be how to tell on that.

76 Grem X 258/904,4.0 head/MPFI, Comp X250H cam, Hughes springs, Clifford header, serpentine swap.
FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/24/2014 at 4:19pm
Not all cars had the return line check valve. For example, my 1977 TSM only shows it on the Pacer. Check your manual.

Sometimes it's not the fuel lines causing the trouble, but the fuel in the carburetor. Carburetors cool themselves by the air flowing through them. At low vehicle speeds and engine RPM, there is very little air moving through the carb and it's roasting hot underhood air anyway.

Put a cold air intake snorkel on the air cleaner. Betcha it fixes your problem.
1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
EagleFreek View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EagleFreek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/24/2014 at 9:46pm
Just throw the lights and sirens on and blast through the parade. Wink
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear. SOLD
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon-As Seen On TV Lost in Transmission

maximus7001 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maximus7001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/26/2014 at 7:20am
For the most part every carter bbd with feedback (81-88) should have this return line check valve. Without it the car would have trouble keeping enough fuel pressure at lower rpm.
1968 Javelin SST

1997 GMC Safari AWD

2001 Daewoo Nubira SX (Winnipeg only model)

1997 Honda Accord EX (Canadian Model)

Winnipeg, home of the Jets.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic