TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

American engine crossmember

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote American67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/29/2014 at 2:11pm
Sounds scary.

So the tranny+engine must go in as a combo.

It´s a bit hard to go and measure where the engine should sit around here, as far as i know there´s only one 64-65 American with an AMC V8 in the whole country... And if there is more, i dont know where.

Mostly Mopar and GM V8 engines around here.

hoosieramc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoosieramc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/29/2014 at 2:26pm
You have a LOT more room in the 66-69 Americans. The 64-65 are tighter. 
American67 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote American67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/29/2014 at 2:43pm
yeah, they look alot tighter too.

was there fifference between oilpans? Can i use the Javelin oilpan in the American?
Or does the crossmember sit in the way...

I´m going to use a Borg-Warner Auto-transmission, hope the transmission crossmember wont be a problem. I try to source a automatic tranny steering tube, so i don´t have to do any holes in the floor of the car.
hoosieramc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoosieramc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/29/2014 at 3:52pm
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/30/2014 at 6:48am
Oil pan isn't an issue, any AMC car V-8 pan will work. Jeep pans are deeper and there is a good chance of knocking a hole in it on the road. In 66 the front of the American was lengthened 3" to accommodate the new 232 six and AC. Yes, the 232 was factory installed in 65 Americans -- with a special short shaft water pump and moving the radiator forward about 1.5" -- enough that if you wanted AC in 65 you had to make do with the 196 as there was no room for an AC condensor between the grille and radiator with the 232 installed.
Frank Swygert
6768rogues View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6768rogues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/30/2014 at 2:17pm
Originally posted by American67 American67 wrote:

Ok, how close? Any good measurements i should keep in mind?
I would like to do it as close as the factory did.

The body itself should be the same on V8 and six-cyl models, am i correct?

Very close. I used a 360/727 combination and there was not room for the tranny dipstick between the engine and firewall. Even my small finger won't fit in there, so it is as close as it can be without touching. Also, the engine is mounted slightly off center to the passenger's side to allow clearance for steering components.
The body is the same, only the removable crossmember is different and the battery is on the passenger's side with a V8.
V8 cars came with a front sway bar and electric wipers as standard equipment. That stuff was optional on a 6 cylinder car. The floor structure was reinforced in late 67 or early 68 by adding extensions to the boxed sections extending back from the engine compartment. My early 68 car has the extensions. I think it was a response to federal crash damage mandates that went into effect for 1968.

Edited by 6768rogues - Oct/30/2014 at 2:24pm
Content intended for mature audiences. If you experience nausea or diarrhea, stop reading and seek medical attention.

Located usually near Rochester, NY and sometimes central FL.
KermitDRambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KermitDRambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/31/2014 at 6:09am
The structural changes happened mid-68 and yes, they were a response to new safety standards.

Matt
1967 American wagon

http://www.mattsoldcars.com
6768rogues View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6768rogues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/31/2014 at 5:24pm
I think my 68 was an early car because it did not have the VIN on the dash, which was a requirement starting on January 1, 1968. The car has the structural changes.
I have the TF 727 and I can remove the transmission in the chassis. It is not particularly easy and requires lowering the back of the tranny the little that is available until the right cylinder head is touching the firewall. Then a 3 foot long socket extension with a U joint will reach the top bolts.
Content intended for mature audiences. If you experience nausea or diarrhea, stop reading and seek medical attention.

Located usually near Rochester, NY and sometimes central FL.
American67 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote American67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/01/2014 at 2:12am
All AMC V8 engines are equal in size?

On the engine+tranny combo i have, the transmission dipstick is sitting a little on the side, so it won´t be in between the engine and the firewall, i hope.

Tranny is a M44, i think
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic