TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

T 10 conversion throw out bearing question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tomerekson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: T 10 conversion throw out bearing question
    Posted: Nov/22/2014 at 5:53pm
Converting my 70 AMX from M12 auto to T 10 four speed T-Day weekend, and have questions about the throw out bearing.  I have two AMC T 10's, one with the larger diameter front bearing retainer and one with the smaller diameter front bearing retainer.  The Ram clutch kit I purchased includes a throw out bearing unit that fits the larger diameter front retainer.  However, I was planning to use the newer trans with the smaller diameter retainer.  Will the larger diameter retainer work on the newer trans (can I just switch the front retainers)?  Also, I understand that AMC used two different throw out bearing unitss, one a little longer than the other -- how do I know which one is right, will work, for my application?  I only have the longer one, and will probably try to get one of the shorter units so I have both when doing the conversion.  Thanks in advance.
401MATCOUPE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401MATCOUPE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/22/2014 at 6:52pm
The larger front bearing retinaner is the best for durability and was sold as a upgrade to the 1970 up trans by AMC as in the AMC Doc "Performance American Style".   They will directly interchange, no problem.  Your 1970 AMX would have come with the smaller diameter unit (first year), be aware that the ball stud in the bell housing changed the throw out fork height with the bearing retainer diameter change.  The throw out fork groove is at a different location on the two variants of the bearing.  If you have the wrong combination height ball stud, you will run out of room on the adjustment....and or have an odd height of the clutch pedal inside the car.  I don't know what the 70 Ball height is, but there were three different heights 3/4", 7/8" and 1 1/8" IIRC.
Ross K. Peterson
68X,GoPac,343,AT,52A(1stCar)
68X,GoPac,390,4sp,52A
69X,GoPac,390,4sp,64A
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,87A,8
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,BBO,8
70 Jav SST,390,AT,BSO
74MatX,401,AT,Prototype
74MatX,401,AT
junk yard dog View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote junk yard dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/22/2014 at 9:21pm
Ross i am having a problem in my sc rambler. I put a jeep scatter shield 8.5 inch in it. Borg and beck 3 fork pressure plate.Sounds like it is grinding with throw out bearing with 15 miles on it. I used the smaller 69 cone but couldn't get smaller throw out bearing so we put brass bushing inside larger bearing on small cone. I would think if arm was in wrong location bearing could be rubbing on side. It looked like old big bearing has damage in front as i would expect from not fitting cone correct. I just had it apart to put rebuilt 4 speed in it. Some have said use a dyafram clutch . I had one before and thought it was weak. The car has slicks and don't mind clutch peddle pressure. I don't have money for center force. I bought a chev 10.5 kit and use there disk and pressure plate and got throw out bearing separately.   Do i use long or short bearing? i had to take the stop out inside the car to get enough throw to adjust it. Help.
69 sc rambler              
69 bbg javelin 390 mod pack    
68 javelin custom
68 amx 343 4 sale
76 hornet
1963 1/2 mercury super maraude
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic