TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Need wheel help: Hubbies on a 15x10

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OMG_WTH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need wheel help: Hubbies on a 15x10
    Posted: Jan/24/2015 at 7:20pm
The sleeper build has officially started! For pics/vid go to Facebook and YouTube and search for "Project: Gertrude", be sure to like and subscribe. I will eventually get a build thread going on here, but I have just been to busy with work to really sit down and start it. I promise I'll get it going some time in February!

As of right now I have ripped out all of the rear suspension and am cutting out the rusted trunk floor. I am building the rear to fit a 275/60/15 tire (max size) so I can go play with the x275 guys one day. In order to do that I am having to mini tub the car. (66 American 4-door for what it's worth) The plan is to build my own 9" housing in the next few weeks, however, I need wheels and tires first to start measuring... that's where I need your help. What I want Gertrude to be is a full on stock appearing sleeper that can cut some pretty wicked times at the track, BUT it is a true street driven car (read Drag Week). I want to find a way to run a factory 15" wheel and just have it widened - why - because I want to run full on hubcaps. ;) I do not want a deep dish wheel, I really like the positive offset style look of the factory stuff. What wheel do I need to look for to be able to bang on some factory Rambler hubcaps? Again, all I care is that its not a deep dish, 15", and able to put factory hubcaps on. Any ideas?

Edited by OMG_WTH - Jan/24/2015 at 7:23pm
OMG_WTH View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OMG_WTH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/24/2015 at 9:54pm
Let me ask a different question. Has anyone tried putting on a factory dog dish style hub cap on an after market wheel?
PlazinJavelin View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PlazinJavelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/25/2015 at 9:43pm
Good luck with your build. Sorry can't help with the hubcap question. But from your video... rectangular tubing for lower radiator support replacement. Here's the one I built for my Javelin. Your's should be even easier.

AMXFSTBK390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXFSTBK390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/25/2015 at 10:50pm
Summit Racing sells 15" wheel cover racing discs for pre 1970 cars. Run any width wheel.
Questions are powerful tools...what's in your toolbox?
2beersmaybe3 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2beersmaybe3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/25/2015 at 11:03pm
I put a set of 64 classic dog dish on my 06 corolla stock steel rims. Fit like it was supposed to. But I have a feeling that's not the after "the original year" market you wondered about. I did wonder one day what some 22 inch rims, made to look like stock steelies, then use full size 14 inch hubcaps as dog dish would look like on a 64 2 door classic/ambo. In my mind it looked pretty cool. Gremlin too
1963 Classic 770 Cross Country
1964 Classic 660 4door
1964 Classic 770 2 door sedan
OMG_WTH View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OMG_WTH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/25/2015 at 11:18pm
Originally posted by PlazinJavelin PlazinJavelin wrote:

Good luck with your build. Sorry can't help with the hubcap question. But from your video... rectangular tubing for lower radiator support replacement. Here's the one I built for my Javelin. Your's should be even easier.

http://i544.photobucket.com/albums/hh331/PlazinJavelin/Javelins/RadiatorSupport/IMG_3928.jpg - http://i544.photobucket.com/albums/hh331/PlazinJavelin/Javelins/RadiatorSupport/IMG_3928.jpg

Nice work. Ya, mine will be much easier to fabricate than that. 
OMG_WTH View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OMG_WTH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/25/2015 at 11:23pm
Originally posted by 2beersmaybe3 2beersmaybe3 wrote:

I put a set of 64 classic dog dish on my 06 corolla stock steel rims. Fit like it was supposed to. But I have a feeling that's not the after "the original year" market you wondered about. I did wonder one day what some 22 inch rims, made to look like stock steelies, then use full size 14 inch hubcaps as dog dish would look like on a 64 2 door classic/ambo. In my mind it looked pretty cool. Gremlin too

At first I thought "eww", but then I thought about it some more..... you might be on to something. lol.
uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/26/2015 at 12:48am
If the objective is to build an OEM appearing 15 inch wheel that is 10 inches wide, the off set of course would be a give-away but there are wheel adapters available that you can use to mount your wheels. They not only go from different lug spacing so you can change from OEM to the lug spacing of choice but also go from OEM to OEM by adding width to help compensated for wheel off set. I am using some with about 2 inch width to allow the used of 10 inch wide 19 inch wheels fom a current Ford Mustang. The offset of these wheels are best described as Front Wheel drive compatible.
70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
76 Hornet, 5.7L Mercury Marine Power
80 Fuel Injected I6 Spirit
74 232 I-6, 4bbl, 270HL Isky Cam
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic