TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Blower Motor Rebuild

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Blower Motor Rebuild
    Posted: Mar/11/2015 at 4:37pm
Is there someone on the list or elsewhere who will freshen up my AMX blower motor?  It still works, but seems like the bearing/bushings are worn with some noise and vibration.  I planned to take it to a local electric motor shop but they only work on big pump motors now and didn't want to mess with it.  Maybe it's just easier to save the case and install new guts?  I've seen aftermarket Siemens motors for AMC cars for about $30 on e-bay, but I want to keep the original style case at a minimum.
'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

maximus7001 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maximus7001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/12/2015 at 7:54am
Those siemens motors are hit an miss. Been through 5 of them in my safari van. @ $90 vs delco for $300, no other way out The first 3 lasted less than a year each. They have a 1 year warranty. the 4th died on day 366. Mind you they are blowing AC all summer as well. The one that is in there now has been there for over 5 years so far.

Edited by maximus7001 - Mar/12/2015 at 8:03am
1968 Javelin SST

1997 GMC Safari AWD

2001 Daewoo Nubira SX (Winnipeg only model)

1997 Honda Accord EX (Canadian Model)

Winnipeg, home of the Jets.
rockAMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rockAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/12/2015 at 7:36pm
The 68-69 AMX is a 2 speed blower motor while the aftermarket units are continuous speed. Your WeatherEye switch for the blower will not work directly with the aftermarket units unless you wire up a continuous blower switch somewhere in the engine compartment. I tried this and it did not work well. I purchased a new 2 speed unit from APD ($80 or so) and it works well.
DWR
1968 AMX

CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/12/2015 at 8:25pm
Originally posted by rockAMX rockAMX wrote:

The 68-69 AMX is a 2 speed blower motor while the aftermarket units are continuous speed. Your WeatherEye switch for the blower will not work directly with the aftermarket units unless you wire up a continuous blower switch somewhere in the engine compartment. I tried this and it did not work well. I purchased a new 2 speed unit from APD ($80 or so) and it works well.

Good to know.... thanks!!

kirkwood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kirkwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/13/2015 at 4:20am
Billd has restored a few for me.
AMO Newsletter Editor
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/29/2015 at 1:22pm
Originally posted by rockAMX rockAMX wrote:

Is this true for AC cars too?   I thought the AC cars had a single speed motor and that the resistor box that sits above the motor ccontrolled the speed. 

george w View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/29/2015 at 2:30pm
Correct, the A/C cars had a single speed ( and larger ) motor. There were three speeds. The low and mid speed wires passed through the resistor dropping unit. High speed was direct 12V. Later models used a relay for high speed to provide a more direct voltage path to the motor. The relay looked much like a horn relay and was mounted in the cowl area near the blower motor. It took 12 volts from the starter relay.
Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic