TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Tool Time tool review and eval area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Small Media Blast Cabinet

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/04/2015 at 9:05pm
Originally posted by PlazinJavelin PlazinJavelin wrote:

How long do those filters last? I'm thinking about updating my current ancient hepa vacuum.

I've been using the same filter for 3 years now. When it gets plugged up, I take it outside and blow it out with compressed air (with a respirator on) and it's good as new. I have the Rigid 14 gallon model. They're not cheap but they last, are quiet and work well. It pulls plenty of air for my cabinet and it's bigger than yours so no worries about not working well for you.
What the others are saying about having dry air is very true. Moisture will give you fits in that cabinet so get a decent drier. By using the aluminum oxide you'll get the job done quicker so less air used. In the end you'll love having it. With that now all you need is an Eastwood basic powder coating gun and a used toaster oven and you can powder coat all your small parts!! Wink

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
AMXTSY View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXTSY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/05/2015 at 9:35am
Over time the foam box seals will deteriorate and will start to leak. If you can apply some RTV sealer over the internal seams (much easier when the unit is still new and clean), it will save a whole lot of grief down the road. Just a thought... Bruce
Bruce Carothers
Champaign County, Il.
AMO # 9928
greasygt III View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greasygt III Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/05/2015 at 2:58pm
    You might want to try an aquarium light on the outside of the glass. Just a thought.
83 Spirit GT
79 Ranchero GT 460
PlazinJavelin View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PlazinJavelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/05/2015 at 4:25pm
Yep, I plan to put either a fluorescent fixture or an led strip in there to see better.

@AMXTSY
One of the things I like about this box is it's one solid piece, no seams. The only foam is under the clear plastic lid and it's just a generic square foam that can be easily changed out when worn.

@Mopar_Guy
I have the basic eastwood power gun, but not tried to use it yet. I need some kind of a sizable oven, and that all would turn in to yet another distracting project. And don't get me started about the 3D printer I want to get :)

Wanna see the next cool 3D tech and maybe my next career...

Edited by PlazinJavelin - Apr/05/2015 at 4:31pm
Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/05/2015 at 4:40pm
Oh, that's interesting!! As for an oven, I just picked up a wall oven off of CL for $25 a few weeks ago. It's smaller than a regular stove but also doesn't take up much room either. They have in regular size too. Hook a cord to it and your ready - no project needed. Wink

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
PlazinJavelin View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PlazinJavelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/18/2015 at 11:54pm
Bit of an update for those still curious. I bought 25lbs of ALC brand aluminum oxide to use in the cabinet. That stuff works great. takes off rust like a sponge on a dirty window and is suppose to last "forever". But then the down sides.... it's expensive, $49 bucks. It's also kind of "sticky". It's doesn't slide down to the bottom of the hopper as easily as the glass bead. Add that to the poor design of the inside of the cabinet and it caused the siphon to constantly go dry. I have to thump, shake or tilt the cabinet to get the flow going. Annoying. And btw, the ALC stuff is kind of a golden brown color.

I decided I'd needed more media to keep the flow going. NortherTools where I got the cabinet and ALC is not too convenient, so I looked online and found HF on the way home from work carries aluminum oxide too. It was cheaper too of course. I got the HF stuff home and found it was black instead of gold. Checked the box again... hmmm, same aluminum oxide and it did get decent reviews.

But I'm not happy with the HF stuff now. I have about half and half of the ALC and HF and it doesn't cut the rust nearly as well and is making a serious amount of more dust. The ALC stuff left surprising little in my vacuum. The black stuff filled the vac about 5 times more, and actually by the time I quit blasting, my vac was so clogged is wasn't clearing the dust in the cabinet any more.

This weekend I build one of those water traps out of the 5 gallon bucket. I'll see if that can clear the dust better. If not I'm going to have to get more of the ALC stuff I like.

And in the end I can't say I'm too impressed with this cabinet. For all the time and tinkering I've had to do with it, I feel I could have built a better one at half the price out of plywood, some weather strip and a piece of plexi glass. 
dogbone View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogbone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/19/2015 at 10:54am
they also carry several blast medias at TSC Tractor Supply Company.
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/19/2015 at 12:13pm
Only $8 for a bag o' sla-g at Tractor Supply, and it works well. 
'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

70amcpwr View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70amcpwr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2015 at 6:32pm
I bought the cheapest small shop vac, hooked the suction to the port mentioned (I have the next size up NT cabinet), took the filter out, ducted the exhaust with a hose to the outdoors and let it rip. 5 years still working as day 1 and never bought a filter. I think it cost me $39.95.
70amcpwr You just can't fix stupid.
SOLD 1970 BBO Javelin, wifes 73 AMX 360 4spd. Next project 1969 AMX
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic