TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

gremlin rear air thingy

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amx2bfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: gremlin rear air thingy
    Posted: Apr/26/2015 at 9:24pm
Not sure what it is called. The rear spoiler air dam. I believe it is meant to keep the rear window clear. Does it work when installed cause I get a lot of crud on the rear of my ride when cruising? Question 2, Would it create uplift on the rear of the car when racing? I heard that the little up section at the rear roof on the gremmy and javelins were to create down force at speed. Setting the air thingy on my roof, it looks like it would create an uplift effect negating the down force. I could be wrong on all thoughts. Any thoughts appreciated. Not sure yet if I want to add it. Thanks all
1975 gremlin
1973 javelin
1976 pacer wagon
rocklandrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocklandrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2015 at 2:15am
I had one on my '75 X and as I recall it did the job. I believe it's called an "air deflector" not a spoiler. Most station wagons of the 60's and 70's had rear deflectors available before a rear wiper was possible.
Past AMC's
1974 Hornet X (new)
1975 Gremlin X (new)
1964 Classic 660 Cross Country
1965 American 440-H
toolmanxiii View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toolmanxiii Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2015 at 1:53pm
As Rockland said . They work . and as far as down force that little bump would give is not worth talking about.
I've had Gremmies with the air deflector and some without. When without the low pressure behind the car worked like a vacuum and everything stuck to the back glass. the deflector filled this area and kept the crap lower to the ground .
And unless you are looking at 0.0001 of a second times drag racing it is well worth having on there .

just my $ 0.02.worth .
71 360 Hornet sst 83 2wd 360/727 Eagle wagon (crashed)
garweb3 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garweb3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2015 at 7:43pm
I also had one on my '76 Gremlin X. It worked great at keeping the snow from collecting on the rear window but you should not have that problem where you live.
amx2bfast View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amx2bfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/28/2015 at 7:34am
Thanks for the replies. still debating to add or not
1975 gremlin
1973 javelin
1976 pacer wagon
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic