TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Tool Time tool review and eval area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

tool values questions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: tool values questions
    Posted: May/22/2015 at 9:09pm
This may not be the right place  - --  haha I may be posting in the wrong place for this sort of stuff based on the guidelines for this area but it's a fine line on this question.

I have a shot at some tools - a friend is selling out. I went and looked and took some photos and got some makes and model numbers for some of the larger stuff  but there's countless small items, too - for performance engine building including the tools to CC heads, check valve spring pressure, and much much more.

He and I each are to try to find information on the tools as far as current values. 
His stuff is extremely well taken care of, never abused, always kept clean and in a 100% climate controlled shop. A couple of items have been used only a couple of times.

The list includes (photos below)
Van Norman 777 boring bar and all tooling

A V-block large enough to hold engine blocks and hold them at the right angle for boring made easier.

Sunnen rod hone/reconditioning tool - LBA-640

Hone.

Kwik Way valve grinder VS7136

Hard seat grinder and stones and stone dressing tool, etc. Kwik Way SGH

ShopTask 17-20 xmtc lathe/mill  17" swing (he's cleaned up wheels with it before)

Valve spring tester (checks pressure/tension)

Large wood box with a very complete micrometer set (a couple are LARGE, I didn't get the size on the larger ones)

MAYBE one of his Sun scopes (very very nice and clean 1970s vintage (and he's got quite a few other smaller items, hones, other smaller engine building tools)
I'm looking for approximate values - I hope to retire one day and have a shop all set up so I can finally get back into what I trained for and like a whole lot better than the "day job" I have now which drives me nuts. 
(I used to do this sort of work - for years - and want to do it again. Maybe I could afford to retire if I got back into what I really like and prefer doing.)

Edited by billd - May/22/2015 at 9:16pm
bcsideshow View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bcsideshow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2015 at 8:05am
Saw this locally.  Been for sale for a while and price down to 150.  Possible comparable.  Calibration for a set can be pricey.   If well taken care of probably not needed.
https://racine.craigslist.org/tls/5026392841.html

1969 SCRambler "B"
1970 AMX 390 Auto
1968 AMX 390 Auto
1970 Rebel Machine Project
1969 AMX 390 4SPD Project
1969 AMX 390 Auto Project
1969 Javelin 390 project
1997 Cherokee lifted
1998 TJ Lifted
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2015 at 9:32am
That set isn't complete and the box has seen a lot of use but I bet it's the same set originally.
 The set I'm looking at is 100% complete and the inside mic can go up to 12".

Mitutoyo is one of the major brands and decent equipment - they've been around quite a while. I have a couple of their mics myself - along with some Starrett - other Starrett stuff I have, tape measure, combination square, protractor and other odds and ends. 
As far as the set for sale, the box is mint, contents complete and like new condition

SirDigger View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SirDigger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2015 at 5:00pm
Hard to guess the value @ Bill, but one thing i know,
to get the acuracy and reliabilty of the old tools today, you need big bucks today.

Today you have the chinese made cheap crap on harbour freight quality level, or the big bucks high end stuff.
Inbetween isnt much left, espracially not so old school tools like hard vavleseat grinders.

If the sellers price is aceptable, buy the lot, and sell of the stuff you dont need.

SirDigger&his german Friends are looking for Parts http://theamcforum.com/forum/the-german-amc-forum-ambassadorsirdigger-needs_topic83570.html
1970 Javelin SST 304
1970 Javelin SST 360
Peter Marano View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Marano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2015 at 10:14am
That is some gently used equipment!
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2015 at 10:06pm
I agree, Peter. He told me he used that combo-mill/lathe/etc 2 times. once to clean up mag wheels (it has a 17" swing) and another time I can't recall what he told me he used it for. But I recall the wheels because I saw them and they looked like brand new.
He takes danged good care of his stuff. Over and over he apologized for the "dust" on them and I wanted to tell him will you stop with the dust already - your shop is cleaner than some people's homes and your tools cleaner than some plates I've seen.  He took care of, and takes care of everything. Like he said - he made his living with the stuff and could only afford to buy it once. If something got dull or worn he replaced it, period. No messing around.
The rod hone I swear he had every possible attachment available for it.  Same for the valve and seat equipment - i didn't show what was under the benches or tables as far as attachments. 
It was sort of funny - I asked about his experiences "back in the day", building performance engines and so on. I mentioned that I knew of some of the builders back then, one was Bill Tucker in East Des Moines. I told him our college engine class toured Bill's shop - he said "yeah, I used to work for Tucker back then". It's possible I saw him way back then but never knew that we'd end up knowing each other later.

sirdigger I had considered that - "over-buying" so I'd not have regrets later for having not gotten something - easier to sell later since it's all nice stuff.

My mission though is to look where-ever I can, ask around and try to find a list of "values" or numbers for everything. He's going to do the same, then we meet and compare lists and come up with some pricing between what each of us has found. 
Now you hit on something in a way - I've searched now more than once and am having a heck of a time finding tools exactly like these for sale, or that have sold. What I have found is sparse, and some of it is years old - i've found these tools listed on forums, discussed on forums and sale areas - but from 10 years ago! In archives. Finding CURRENT price information is tough. I guess these older pieces of equipment just don't come up for sale, or no one has any for sale, or no one buys them or something. I can find more NOS parts for Javelin than I can find info on these tools! LOL - go figure. 

Some Harbor Freight stuff is "ok" but for precision, long life, solid equipment that would last longer than I'll live, that isn't the place for all things. 

(I have a feeling some would call me crazy for even considering these things, but this is the exact equipment - or types of equipment, I went to school and used decades ago. I would have to sort of raid a retirement account to d it, but then I believe I could turn around and make some money after retirement and at least come out even while doing what I love)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic