TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Curing 232 Intake leaks

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carnuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/09/2015 at 2:18pm
The earlier ones had no brackets to keep the manifold from "bouncing" when you hit potholes and the exhaust "swinging" also flexes everything. I assume the gasket between intake and exhaust is being replaced too? It gets hand tightened then torqued after the intake/exhaust is tightened correctly. Otherwise the uneven surfaces will cause the gasket to break up. I prefer the '81 up intake combo.
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/09/2015 at 3:54pm
Originally posted by carnuck carnuck wrote:

The earlier ones had no brackets to keep the manifold from "bouncing" when you hit potholes and the exhaust "swinging" also flexes everything. I assume the gasket between intake and exhaust is being replaced too? It gets hand tightened then torqued after the intake/exhaust is tightened correctly. Otherwise the uneven surfaces will cause the gasket to break up. I prefer the '81 up intake combo.

Mine has a bracket to hold the pipe, so you are wrong there    and yeah its a 1974.
Fluffy73 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fluffy73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/09/2015 at 6:47pm
Mine's a '70.  No bracket.
I am genetically incapable of being Politically Correct.
warweapon762 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote warweapon762 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/10/2015 at 5:32pm
Originally posted by purple72Gremlin purple72Gremlin wrote:

Mine has a bracket to hold the pipe, so you are wrong there    and yeah its a 1974.

Pre-73 typically didn't have a bracket.
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/10/2015 at 6:13pm
Originally posted by warweapon762 warweapon762 wrote:

Originally posted by purple72Gremlin purple72Gremlin wrote:

Pre-73 typically didn't have a bracket.
Ok. I'll take your word for it.   maybe I am old fashioned....but I consider 74 and older "early".....guess not lol.
dropbear68 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dropbear68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/11/2015 at 5:53am
Cleanliness is important u must get all that gronky gasket off, check the face of your intake manifold and make sure it doesnt need to be faired up, I always use aviation gasket sealer on any gaskets, same for the carby base as they can warp too, throttle shafts wear and they suck air badly, anything thats vacum related check it thoroughly. Just ask anyone that has a 258 with a BBD fitted with all the factory dungty vacum systems.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic