TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Any Custom Driveshaft Ordering Advice?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 71JAVVY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Any Custom Driveshaft Ordering Advice?
    Posted: May/29/2015 at 12:50am
Hey everyone. I'm getting close to ordering my first driveshaft and I was hoping to get some pointers.

I'm running a T10 trans and a Ford 8.8 rear. From my research the T10 utilizes a 1310 U joint and the Ford 8.8 runs a 1330. Would a 1310 style shaft be sufficiently strong (with a 1310 to 1330 conversion u joint for the 8.8) or should I spring for the bigger U joints? 

The car has a moderately built 401 and is a street/strip toy. 
1971 Javelin

401, T-10, Ford 8.8
scramboy View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scramboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2015 at 4:40am
AMC t10 use a proprietary yoke that only fits AMC . Make sure the driveshaft builder doesnt use a generic t10 yoke it wont fit.
71JAVVY View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 71JAVVY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2015 at 1:01pm
I was hoping to just use the yoke I already have? Thanks for the heads up! I was hoping to just get the driveshaft with the u joints on the ends. Do they usually include a yoke?
1971 Javelin

401, T-10, Ford 8.8
Snotty View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snotty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2015 at 1:11pm
We had a Mopar A Body shaft shortened to fit the Grem using a T-10 and a Mopar 8.75 rear. I bought the correct yoke for the trans and took it with me to the shop that did the work in order for them to properly fit the correct u-joint to that yoke. They did so. The one they had the problem fitting was to the Mopar rear, and that was the one that failed catastrophically a year ago.

My main concern when I did this was to be sure of the measurement of the correct length the shaft needed to be, including allowing for the slip joint in the trans rear. If it's too long or short, the u-joint will be the least of your problems.

Good luck!
Son's car: '73 Gremlin X, 401, T-10, Mopar 8.75 rear with 3.23 sure grip. My car: '70 Newport Convertible, 440 automatic
71JAVVY View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 71JAVVY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2015 at 1:20pm
Thanks Snotty! That's a nice trick to know if I ever need another slip yoke! I'll triple check that length.
1971 Javelin

401, T-10, Ford 8.8
6768rogues View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6768rogues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2015 at 6:17pm
I go to the local driveshaft shop (they do mostly truck work). I give them the yoke for the tranny and a sample of a rear u-joint. I tell them I want that yoke on the front, that u-joint on the rear, a dimension from center to center of the U-joints and put it together with new joints. A couple of days later I pick it up and give them about $275.
Content intended for mature audiences. If you experience nausea or diarrhea, stop reading and seek medical attention.

Located usually near Rochester, NY and sometimes central FL.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic