TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Ballast Resistor or Fuseable Link

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ballast Resistor or Fuseable Link
    Posted: Jul/01/2015 at 7:27am
This part is in my 1966 American and it appears to be an original part.

It is wired like a ballast resistor that is used in Mopars.

I am using Petronics instead of the original points.

Can this be eliminated or leave it there?
Ollie
rocklandrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocklandrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/01/2015 at 8:12am
I doubt very much that is an original part just by looking at those large yellow crimp on connectors. AMC never used them. My '65 American doesn't have a ballast resistor but that could have changed by '66. I had a Pertronix unit in my '56 Olds that had a ballast resistor like that and I never changed anything and it ran fine for over 15 years before I sold it. Finish the work, turn the key and see what happens.
Past AMC's
1974 Hornet X (new)
1975 Gremlin X (new)
1964 Classic 660 Cross Country
1965 American 440-H
KermitDRambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KermitDRambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/01/2015 at 11:19am
AMC used resistance wire OR they used a coil with an internal resistor. Your car should have used a coil with an internal resistor. My guess is that the original coil died and they replaced it with the wrong part and then decided to hack the wiring to "fix" it.

You don't need the resistance with the Ignitor so I would eliminate it and put the factory wiring back to the way it's supposed to be. There's a good chance that the wiring is going to be corroded where the crimp connectors are at so you'll probably need to replace the wire from where it's cut over to the coil. To make it look neat, either solder the wires together or use an un-insulated crimp connector, cover the splice with heat shrink tube, and re-wrap the harness between the coil and the splice.

Matt

1967 American wagon

http://www.mattsoldcars.com
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/02/2015 at 7:10am
That's what I needed to know Matt. I have removed the ballast resistor and put in a new yellow wire to the coil.
Tks,
Ollie
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/02/2015 at 7:59am
Make sure it's the correct coil for a car with no resistance if you don't have the pink resistance wire inline prior to the yellow going to the coil.. The primary windings on the coil that requires the external resistance is different from that of a coil that does not require the external resistance.
Running a wire to the coil and having no resistance wire could harm a coil that's expecting some resistance in the form of a resistance wire or ballast between it and the battery voltage.

AMC never used that sort of a ballast resistor for ignition - but DID us a resistor similar to that for the early alternator charging systems.
But that's not one of them.
They were mounted down by the regulator just inches away at the most.
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/02/2015 at 8:58pm
The ballast resistor is gone. In 50 years somebody messed with my Rambler...hehehehe.....imagine that !!!

Have got the wiring just about done.
Tks for the knowledge,
Ollie

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic