TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Jeeps and Eagle 4x4 fun.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Can I get some help on This JEEP DJ5D?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I_<3_AM_GENERAL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Can I get some help on This JEEP DJ5D?
    Posted: Jul/01/2015 at 8:13pm
This is an exact copy form my new member's post I'm needing help locating parts.

OK, so I'm a 16 y/o the just bought a kinda run down Postal jeep from a friend. I have no mechanical experience and I'm going to need a lot of help... First off, it has no engine problems that I know of... Nor transmission. This is more of a body, electrical, and cosmetic deal. I payed $800 for this jeep and it's in rough shape. The model is a 1975 DJ-5D AM General Rural Postal jeep. The reason I'm posting this on here is to locate the parts and such that I need to get it to where it's more of a fun-to-ride in jeep.

This is the following list of parts that I need: (Please note that I'm 16 and I will go for the cheapest deal)
I NEED LINKS FROM REPUTABLE WEBSITES FOR THE FOLLOWING:

1. Windshield-wiper blades and windshield-wiper arms.
Don't ask why I needs the arms... I messed them up testing the motor... XD I also just need blades.

2. ALL THE REAR AND BLINKER LIGHTS.
Turns out that 40 y/o wiring sucks.... who woulda thought?  Anyway, I need the entire assemblies.  And from somewhere reputable... I can't afford to get scammed on a $200 an month budget ._.

3. PASSENGER AND REAR BENCH SEAT.
Yeah, I've been looking around trying to find the bench seat to fit into the back, but I can't seem to  find anything that has readily available measurements. I really want this information. I need two of the same front seats and a back seat. Don't worry about shape or color, because I'll just buy some  seat covers anyway, but this is really needed.

4. Patching and rust help.
ALL PICTURES ARE LOCATED HERE
http://imgur.com/a/2YRqG#0EbHCAY

5. Miscellaneous parts.
Yeah, I'll put some things here later.... but I have no doubt that it will be used.

FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/02/2015 at 3:47pm
I cant help on no mechanical experience that is something you get over time. It helps if you have someone that does have mechanical experience to show you first then you give it a try.
Also look thru the Jeep area as some others that have given a go at the DJ Jeeps so you can see how they did repairs.
Here goes my thoughts.

1. If you Google postal jeep parts I am sure you will find something. There is 1 place but don’t remember the name but think some place down south like AL.? Blades you should be able to get at a local parts store it’s that arms you would get from the jeep place.

2. In the pictures I see lights is it they just do not light up? You said the wiring needs work could this be why they don’t work? Do the fuse get power and all check good? Power to the switch and out? You have to start at the power source and work your way to the light. Maybe just replace the sockets and keep the light housings & lenses? Sockets you can get at a local parts store. You will need to know if the light is a 1 wire or 2 wire to get the right sockets. If wiring is that bad replace it with a universal wiring harness. But before you go buying parts you need to make sure the part is bad and not a bad fuse, switch or broken wire the cause.

3. The DJ never came with a passenger (left side when sitting in truck/car) seat but heard of others getting a drivers seat & brackets to work. Might find a cheap set of seats in a junk yard to fit. This is a NEVER, no rear seat was ever installed in the DJ but you may find a CJ rear seat might work? I never hear of any one installing a rear seat in a DJ.

4. Again not having mechanical experience in rust repair it is hard to help you but sheet metal sheets screwed or pop riveted in place and a little body filler over it to smooth it out.
Dave ----
TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/02/2015 at 3:56pm
Here is a link to a post on here for a DJ
http://theamcforum.com/forum/75-dj5-postal_topic43765.html
Dave ----
TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
raser13 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote raser13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/09/2015 at 9:16am
Both the front and back seats and brackets out of a 70's to 80's cj-5 will work for you. You might have to stack washers as spacers a little bit for the front ones. And you will have to drill holes for the back ones and the left hand or what would normally be the drivers side.

The wiper arms and blades off of a cj will also work for you. The blades are 11 inch blades. Good luck finding them at a regular store. Advanced auto parts places usually carry one set. So you have to race all of the other jeep guys in your area. I just buy 22 wipers and cut them down to work. Plus you get a full set out of one blade. you just have to make sure the track that holds them to thearm looks the same.

As for seals and other parts,this is the best place to go.

http://www.postaljeep.net

If you order their repair manual be forewarned. It's just photocopied. And not a great one at that. So all the pics are black squares. And sometimes the directions refer you to the pics. But that being said it's the only manual I've ever seen for these.

Now I'm going to recomend something that i normally don't do on forums. And that's to refer you to another forum. The guys here are great and very knowledgeable. But they don't know the jeeps as well and there isn't many that look in here or post in here. I would recommend jeep-cj.com , there are several guys there that have done postal jeeps. Everything from stock to trail rigs, and one guy that made a rat rod out of one. You will just have to remind them your on a budget.

But i hope that all helps you. You do have a lot of rust repair to do. But the one advantage to a jeep is everthing is pretty much flat so patch panels are pretty easy. I would start sanding down the parts that just have surface rust and at least get some cheap wal-mart primer on them to stop the rust. If you want to make it pretty again i would just do a rattle can paint job untill you can afford a real one and get all those holes patched. I know your on a budget but i would recomend saving and buying a welder from harbor freight tools. You can catch them on sale for 100 bucks. Plus you want to get a new spool of wire. The one that comes with it is junk. And a good helmet. Then watch you tube how to's and give it a try. That's what i did when i got my cj. My first welds were nasty looking. But that's what a grinders for. Good luck, i hope you love the jeep for years to come.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic