TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

360 Oil pan gasket replace!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/05/2015 at 7:21pm
In the old days I've seen guys use a piece of angle iron cut to the correct length/width and placed on the inner fenders with some padding, thick rubber, wood, etc at the ends. Attach a stout chain to the center of the angle iron and bolt it to each bank of the front of the engine using grade 8 bolts and factory threaded holes. The front of the engine will be supported when you drop the crossmember. This takes up less room than pulling the engine, less chance of crushing the upper radiator support, safer than trying to support the front of the engine using a jack, and eliminates the fun of disconnecting the transmission housing/torque converter, OR trying to pull the engine/tranny as a unit (never fun).

I'm old and have a bad back - laying on a creeper and working underneath the car isn't too bad for me. Pulling engines & transmissions, either together or separately, is a lot of work. If it needed rebuilt, then of course - but if the engine runs fine and just leaks, well...
401harry View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401harry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/05/2015 at 8:02pm
Got this pic from an early 70s chiltons manual that may help

If your going this route spray those crossmember bolts down with liquid wrench or equivalent a couple days before and hit them with an impact
sweatlock View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/06/2015 at 6:55am
That's it, 401harry - definitely old school/diy/shadetree mechanic stuff, but it works.
Frank T View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frank T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/07/2015 at 12:38am
Thanks guys Smile
1979 AMC Spirit 360
hornet x View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hornet x Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/07/2015 at 9:11pm
I agree with pulling the engine to fix the leak. So much easier to assemble on an engine stand and to get the block and pan "surgically" clean. Very, very thin coat of oil resistant rtv and make sure your bolt holes on the pan are flat; peen the holes back in shape on a vise or similar hard object with a hammer and correct sized punch.
Frank T View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frank T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/23/2015 at 12:33am
The gasket is now replaced, by removing the crossmember, sway bar, lower control arms from crossmember, starter, engine mounts, steering parts removed from idler arm and steering arm and the protecting plate fore the converter, I thing I have been using 8 hours on the job, laying on my back on the floor Confused the oil leak seems to be ok after a short test drive....Smile

Edited by Frank T - Jul/23/2015 at 12:38am
1979 AMC Spirit 360
tom67 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/23/2015 at 5:52am

OIL LEAK STEP #1. See above. LoL
WATER LEAK STEP #2 Same as #1
Tom
1967 Ambassador DPL
AMO #10582
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic