TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Tail light housing welt/seal

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fhpdave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tail light housing welt/seal
    Posted: Oct/05/2015 at 3:44pm
So here I go again looking for information on my 67 Ambassador. This time its if there is a gasket/welt/seal that goes in the groove that is on the back of the tail light housing. You can see the groove in the picture below.

It would seal the area between the housing and the quarter panel.

Previously there was a rubber welt that protruded outside of the car, and I have never seen that on any other car or picture of one for that matter, but it seems that since the factory took the time to cast the groove/channel into the housing that something should go into it. Any ideas?
Old enough to know better - young enough not to care
jayramb View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jayramb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/05/2015 at 9:18pm
I used a seam sealer...black, then when it was still wet/before it dried, I evened it out.
Jayson Helenske
See my webiste! www.1967AMCRamblerRebel.weebly.com
Current Cars:
1967 Rambler Rebel 770 290 V8 4-barrel and Paint - Marina Aqua.
1966 MARLIN 327 V8 4 barrel and Paint-Med. Cortez Aqua
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/06/2015 at 7:47pm
Not knowing how big that groove is maybe a small vacuum hose would fit but still stick up enough that when the extension is put back on it will seal.
Dave ----
TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
73hornut View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73hornut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/06/2015 at 9:12pm
Try some screen spline of appropriate size.
71 Javelin
74 Gremlin
79 Spirit AMX
Rogue Valley Rumblers
Like Us on FB
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1602825606650796
junk yard dog View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote junk yard dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/07/2015 at 12:44am
I have a pair of i think 1968 tail lights and will take a look if any thing is still on them. I have them for sale and will not split them up because pictures are all taken and currently on ebay.Look on my ebay item Number  252097298903. It has a picture of the rubber. I think the house screen rubber is a good match and should be available at home depo.  Dog.

Edited by junk yard dog - Oct/07/2015 at 1:11am
69 sc rambler              
69 bbg javelin 390 mod pack    
68 javelin custom
68 amx 343 4 sale
76 hornet
1963 1/2 mercury super maraude
fhpdave View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fhpdave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/05/2015 at 9:24pm
I found a small rubber "U" channel at McMaster Carr that works perfectly on the tail light housing. This is about the forth or fifth time that I found something there that replaced a part that was no longer available. Good thing that we order stuff from there on a regular basis where I work, and the general manager lets me add items to the order so I can get "free" shipping so to speak.
Old enough to know better - young enough not to care
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic