TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Shifter Handle Automatic

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote apannizzo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shifter Handle Automatic
    Posted: Nov/30/2015 at 1:46pm
I have a 1974 AMX 360 Automatic. I am trying to put a new shift handle on shifter but I am having trouble. I have the Handle, Spring and Spring handle. I cannot seem to attach evevything so Handle stays on. Are there any clips or anything else needed to lock handle in place when I attach everything. Thanks for Help!
Allan Pannizzo
raser13 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote raser13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/30/2015 at 2:19pm
Your talking about the wood like squeezy pary of the selectot right? If so at the four corners of the wooden handel part there should be four holes with clips in them. They should correspond to four pegs sticking out of the chrome handel section. These lock the two parts together. Hope that helps.
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/30/2015 at 8:07pm
Donno who has them as they seem to be simple barrel clip inserts. I use to sell pre 80s NOS complete handle kits 10 or so years ago and have had a few laying around but I will give a quick scan of my small small parts jar. If I come across one I'll post a picture so you can source them online or at a shop.

I made a nice DIY on reinforcing handles as they are weak. Might search here on the forum for shifter handle DIY.

If you have a factory spring they are a wee strong, and other spring material can work just as well... have done it long ago with my car after the factory handle split in half back in 84. Only 10 years old from date of sale, and 50,000 miles. So it goes to show you they are not GM solid like you find in 68 to 73 GM console cars.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic