TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

68/69 steering column

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tufcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/08/2016 at 10:18pm
When I converted my Rogue to Control Freak rack/pinion, I was able to pull out the lower piece by heating it with a torch and clamping on a set of vise grips, then wacking it with a hammer. Plastic is injected at the holes and there are grooves in both shafts that it flows into. You need to get it really hot so the plastic softens. I welded on a 1/4-20 nut at the lower hole and put in a set screw. The lower shaft was replaced with an off the shelf double D.

Bob
tufcj
69 AMX
74 Javelin AMX
67 Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
you'll eventually pay for it...
and not have it.
Henry Ford
7TZ View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7TZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/09/2016 at 6:50am
Thanks for all the input. I'm going to use your ideas and try to get that lower section off, then maybe I can figure a way to use my non-tilt column lower section. 304-dude, please let me know if you find that piece. At least I get some useful experience on AMC steering columns.
1969 AMX
2005 350Z
1970 240Z
tufcj View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tufcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/09/2016 at 9:15am
The steering column is GM/Saginaw. The lower bearing is available for a 67 Chevelle and should fit the 68-69 AMC column. There is a difference between tilt and non-tilt bearing. I got one for my 68/69 tilt column, the only difference was the new one used a screw to hold it in place, original used a clip. The screw hole already exists in the AMC column.

Bob
tufcj

69 AMX
74 Javelin AMX
67 Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
you'll eventually pay for it...
and not have it.
Henry Ford
7TZ View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7TZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/09/2016 at 3:35pm
Our AMC steering columns are GM/Saginaw? Is that what you are saying? Should be alot easier to find parts for, if so.
1969 AMX
2005 350Z
1970 240Z
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/09/2016 at 4:38pm
Originally posted by 7TZ 7TZ wrote:

Our AMC steering columns are GM/Saginaw? Is that what you are saying? Should be alot easier to find parts for, if so.

Yep, they are... though if looking for correctness you would need period parts at the shaft.

Found my loose parts, unfortunately the shaft is gone. All I have is the collar and its spring that goes in front of the bearing you removed. There should be a clamp that retains them just after the double D shafts plastic pins are to hold it together.

I can send them to you at cost of mailing. Should be around $2.50 if you need them, as all I see is the bearing without its wire clip.

Since a member stated using hot glue to keep the shafts together... I have noticed that Goop E6000 glue is almost as stiff as hot glue when set. It may be easier to work with in getting inside to set the shafts. Will take some cure time though on the bench.

71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
7TZ View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7TZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/09/2016 at 5:41pm

These are all the parts I removed, except i do have the spring, its not in the pic. The bearing is completely shot, can I get a replacement anywhere? Maybe APD?
Thanks again. Mark
1969 AMX
2005 350Z
1970 240Z
7TZ View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7TZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/09/2016 at 6:29pm
Oops, my bad 1967 Chevelle. Thanks
1969 AMX
2005 350Z
1970 240Z
7TZ View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7TZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/10/2016 at 3:38pm

Column is coming along pretty good. Got the cut off lower shaft out with a torch, came out like butter. Column tilt mechanism works well, just need a lower bearing, lower shaft, and to clean up the wiring. Why do people hack up a good wiring harness. Oh, and a new cancel cam. Anyway thanks for all the help, and hopefully this will be in my car by the spring. BTW- do you recommend the lower bearing that APD sells? Mark
1969 AMX
2005 350Z
1970 240Z
IdahoSpud View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IdahoSpud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/10/2016 at 3:45pm
If you just need the bearing and nothing else you can probably find that at your local bearing warehouse if you have one to match to. I have really good luck at our local Kaman Bearing warehouse.
1966 Rambler Rogue
1980 Avanti 383 Stroker
1957 Chev BelAir 2 dr HT 327 Selling
1986 Jeep Comanche 4x4

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic