TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Doug Thorley or What?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1rwb70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/19/2016 at 2:34pm
Wondering if there is any new news ? Been holding off on header purchase.
Looks like Doug's is the only game in town for 1 3/4 headers for a machine, or closest anyway,
without going custom fabricated. Car has been sidelined for too long !
fastrogue View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fastrogue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/29/2016 at 1:44pm
Doug Thorley reproduction headers are exclusively available through Mike Pearce at mikepearce@petespatriot.com . They are not listed in Doug Thorley's catalog, please email Mike. He also has NHRA approved SS/AMX heads. These are the ones originally done by Crane Cams when they were in Hallandale, Florida and have a Crane Cams serial number. Again, only available from Mike.

SC/Rambler reproduction headers are available with rectangular or dog-leg ports. They line up as well as the original Doug Thorley SC/Rambler orV-8 American headers at the rear cossmember humps to allow hook up to stock exhaust pipes with collector reducers. Primary tubes are 1 5/8" the same as originals.

SS/AMX headers are also available from Mike Pierce exclusively. These are available in rectangular ports only.
bcsideshow View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bcsideshow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/29/2016 at 2:15pm
I had the same experience with Dougs D103 as Walt^^^  except with the 727 i had to "massage" the right collector to clear the trans.  Hated to do it with the ceramic coat.  I would buy non ceramic coat headers and tweak to fit and then send them out for coating.   I think Pete's Patriot products was offering repops of the original Doug Thorley headers.  May not be for dog leg heads though.
1969 SCRambler "B"
1970 AMX 390 Auto
1968 AMX 390 Auto
1970 Rebel Machine Project
1969 AMX 390 4SPD Project
1969 AMX 390 Auto Project
1969 Javelin 390 project
1997 Cherokee lifted
1998 TJ Lifted
shootist View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shootist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/29/2016 at 2:36pm
"Massage" eh? I like that description. Like it was something pleasurable, beating on your over $600 headers with a 2 pound ballpeen hammer. I had to beat the crap outta mine too. Treated mine more like a red headed step-child than a day at the spa. Also had to grind on the flange like a dentist to clear the ARP head bolts. However, after massaging them and uhhh.... improving their smile  Wink they fit great! I do like them though as the tweaking required really was not too horrible and they do seal up nicely.

bcsideshow View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bcsideshow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/29/2016 at 2:52pm
Hey Shootist, sounds like we shared some of the same pains...lol...Beating on the $600 headers was gut wrenching...Porta-power may have worked better.  RemFlex header gaskets seem to work well for sealing up.
1969 SCRambler "B"
1970 AMX 390 Auto
1968 AMX 390 Auto
1970 Rebel Machine Project
1969 AMX 390 4SPD Project
1969 AMX 390 Auto Project
1969 Javelin 390 project
1997 Cherokee lifted
1998 TJ Lifted
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
  Share Topic