TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Engine Oil Weight (Viscosity)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/01/2016 at 10:44am
Uncljohn, that SAE viscosity chart you posted shows that all of the oils from 0W-30 to 20W-50 can be used for 100+ temperatures, a single grade 5W oil that the factory TSM warns about for good reason is completely different to a 5W-something multigrade oil.

Maybe something like this would be a little more informative if you can live with the temperature conversions:

For your climate you are on the money with 20W-50 oil.

This chart highlights how much thinker the oil becomes at lower temperatures, which is primarily cold start conditions without venturing into the real of sub-zero temperatures:

I would be thinking about the extra load on the oil pump and associated drive gears while the engine is cold with the thicker oils.
uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/01/2016 at 12:17pm
Any time you have a blend of anything the window that the blend might be at if one looks at something like viscosity vs temperature is going to get smaller and smaller.
If you are driving a vehicle in weather colder than freezing you want that window be as large as you can get it.
The same as if you are driving a vehicle at temperatures at 100 degrees you want that window to be as large as it can be.
The variables given as caution in technical manuals have give precautions to take into consideration at various temperature levels. How those windows were determined were not give other than this
5W does not provide adequate lubrication when the temperatures exceed a given value.
As Oil is a mix and I don't drive in area's where I need to protect an engine at -10 degrees or something like that, I do not want nor need that oil for protection at -10 degrees. And I do not need the mix diluted for narrow windows at the temperatures I do drive in.
On top of that I have seen the results of having done so and I am not going to risk an engine I have built using oils that have caused that damage.
So as far as I am concerned, there will be no oil in my cars or engines that are rated at functional under 32 degrees.
An engine with a steady diet of 5W20 is a dead player at 100,000 miles. An engine using oil comparable to the temperature ranges it is used in, is good for untold 100,000's of miles with out an oil related failure.
Your charts to not show that. But the engines do. At least the ones I have seen have.
70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
76 Hornet, 5.7L Mercury Marine Power
80 Fuel Injected I6 Spirit
74 232 I-6, 4bbl, 270HL Isky Cam
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/01/2016 at 12:26pm
way back our shop teacher told us... multi viscosity oil can have a memory. like stuck in a viscosity that does not fit the temp range. Also for those who are of younger age... oil changes were spring and fall way back. so multi viscosity was only used in fall to spring or North Alaska conditions.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/02/2016 at 12:58am
Interesting that not of the charts seem to include 5W-20, so you would have to draw the conclusion that it doesn't have enough of a viscosity spread to be good for anything.

Really talking about ambient temps of 100F is irrelevant in terms of what is happening inside the engine where the oil temperature is going to be somewhere around 180-220F once the engine is up to operating temperature. A SAE 20 grade oil will have a viscosity between 5.6 and 9.3 at 100C (212F) which is about half that of a 40 grade oil at the same temperature.

The other word of caution is not so much memory but more the fact that the viscosity improvers can break down over time so the oil can loose some of it's multi viscosity capability.

I have had the experience where I have suffered component failure that has been attributed to running 20W-50 oil, with the recommendation that I should run 5W-30 preferrend (max 10W-40) to avoid this happening again.

If I hadn't had this particular problem, I would probably still be running 20W-50 oil.
uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/02/2016 at 6:55am
I've run 20W50 dinosaur oil now for over 35 years since I have been living in the S.W. and the heat with out any problems and when in charge of a fleet and the drivers were running into overheating problems had them switch the fleet to 20w50 which solved them. I have had one of my own cars get to 270,000 miles with out any problems nor oil consumption. which I found interesting as that car was known for oil consumption problems when the odometer crept up. I use Mobil 1 15W50 in my New Cars as I would rather not switch an older car to a synthetic.
Now granted my choice of 15W50 or 20W50 is a personal preference and according to the Viscosity vs temperature charts an oil selection that is in accord to recommendations.
But I have had light weight oil blow up engines which generally starts with excessive oil consumption as the rings go away. This can get expensive and if I am going to error, I will error on the side of using a heavier weight oil. The probability of failure is lower. Thus less expensive.

Edited by uncljohn - Jul/02/2016 at 6:59am
70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
76 Hornet, 5.7L Mercury Marine Power
80 Fuel Injected I6 Spirit
74 232 I-6, 4bbl, 270HL Isky Cam
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/02/2016 at 7:44am
the chart may be missing recent synthetic multi viscosity oils. as WesternRed mentioned, 0w-20 and 5w-20... plus there are two versions of Pennzoil Platinum, one is strictly synthetic and the other is Dino, both carry the same viscosity rating.

as for 0w over 5w on 20w oils, 0w-20 is to allow better economy, though it will allow for added oil consumption.

going by what our 09 Honda came with 5w-20 and what was officially changed to 0w-20 in 11, it seems that Honda had ring issues early on and was not discovered much later in production. I have switched to 0w-20 since 11 when the ODO had 12.5K, and never had any issues with oil consumption and wear. though I did not go by Maintenance Minder, which many peeps use to tell them when to change the oil. I would change the oil, being full synthetic, once a year in late March. My maintenance minder would be around 50% most of the time, meaning I had 40% more life, by the computers judgement. I wonder how much extra wear is going on for peeps who use multi viscosity oil beyond a year because they think synthetic oil and maintenance minder will allow engines to run 2x longer between oil changes.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic