TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Drag Racing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1979 AMX Stocker update

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pinballer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/29/2017 at 8:01pm
What I had around here to put in wasn't the ideal one, it's supposedly about a 2700 stall, but the car still has carb/fuel troubles I'm fooling with and I can't test that stall out very well. On the Desktop Dyno, things seem to ET best with about a 3200-3400 converter. That fancy race piece won't be happening until Santa Clause comes to visit or Powerball pays off! Just don't have that extra thousand to spend on a -GOOD- stocker converter right now, and when I do buy one, I want it to last.

Here's my latest update:
Went to a test session after installing all the new pieces, and only got one run in before troubles set in. Had a dead miss after that run back in the pits and later found a pushrod had escaped it's rocker arm. Easy enough to fix...
The good news was the car STILL ran almost one full second better on the 8th from what it had before. YAY!
I had installed a fuel pressure gauge during the rebuild of everything and found out the line pressure even with the stock engine mounted pump I'm still using for now was way high, like 9 lbs at idle. New regulator on order.
NHRA T/SA '79 AMX
Pinballer View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pinballer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/11/2017 at 2:28am
The latest:
As happens in racing, sometimes an unknown condition part you install just doesn't hold up as hoped. It would appear my "gift" rebuilt low-geared 998 transmission (long story but interesting) is done for. It lasted 7 runs. However, the only money I had invested in it was for 5 qts of fluid and the gas to get it home, so it's not like I have to lick my wounds on it much. I'd like to think my freshened up "Stocker-fied" Wicked Six 258 motor now has so much horsepower the tranny couldn't handle it any more, but I don't think I can get that lie past this crowd.

I was testing a couple weeks ago locally and suddenly experienced a very lazy 2-3 shift on two successive runs. Loaded up and went home right then hoping it was needing an adjustment on the bands or internal pressure was low maybe. Nope. Dropping the trans pan reveals pieces of friction material clogging the filter, so I think my unknown transmission has now become a racing commodity commonly known to most of us in this arena as "junk."

With so little time left in the racing season, and nothing else around my place readily available to install to get going again, I think it would be best to regroup for a while and get this low-geared trans re-done during the down time of winter, and probably do a spare one too for good measure. The rest of the car is acting pretty good right now, so the list of improvements needed over the winter isn't a real long one. Thought about building a motor test stand too, might come in handy.
Oh, don't worry, we'll be back...not quitting.
NHRA T/SA '79 AMX
Class Guy View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Class Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/11/2017 at 1:42pm
If you feel up to the challenge, Torqueflites are one of the simpler auto transmissions to work on.  I rebuilt a 727 several years ago with an eBay (Turbo Action) rebuild kit and manual after fifty years of working on stick transmissions only.  I took my time, asked questions and the result is a transmission that has 30K miles on it in a mildly hopped up 360 Hornet.  There's a satisfaction in being able to work on your own stuff.
Addicted to acceleration.
Owner and Admin for
www.classracerinfo.com
Pinballer View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pinballer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/12/2017 at 11:48pm
Believe me, transmission school will definitely be in session here this coming winter. Lucky for me, my 80 year old step dad was an automotive instructor at a local college, and he's agreed to guide me through my first rebuild. After that, I'm being graded he says! Wow...the pressure on me never stops. Smile
NHRA T/SA '79 AMX
Class Guy View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Class Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/13/2017 at 6:41am
It's not pressure, it's an opportunity to learn.  You'll do great with it.
Addicted to acceleration.
Owner and Admin for
www.classracerinfo.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
  Share Topic