TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

What tranny comes standard in 74 Gremlin 258?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gizmo456 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/27/2016 at 2:54pm
Thanks for the detailed info Farna! Thumbs Up
Red Devil View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/27/2016 at 3:52pm
Unless it is planned to be a drag car with only short trips around town and few interstate miles, I'd look for an OD transmission as a better option.   Cash spent on the driveline, brakes and handling can often be more rewarding than exotic engine upgrades.   

For a muti-use car, more gears = more fun.  

Hope this helps,RD 
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/27/2016 at 4:33pm
Agreed! A five speed with a slightly warmed up six and gears in the 3.08-3.55 range (depends on the OD ratio! Need at least 2000 rpm at cruising speed for most cams) would be loads of fun, quite spunky, and get low to mid 20s gas mileage.
Frank Swygert
Fluffy73 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fluffy73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/27/2016 at 9:05pm
Originally posted by Gizmo456 Gizmo456 wrote:

Hi guys/gals, I'm looking to find out what transmission came standard in a 1974 Gremlin X 258 I6?

The standard, as in "no extra charge" transmission would've been the three-speed floor shift. Probably a Borg Warner T-13 or T-14.  That's why manual transmissions are often referred to as "standard".

The optional transmission for a Gremlin X with a 258 would've been the TorqueFlite-904 as others have stated.  Smallest engine that got a TF727 would've been the 304.  The TF727 was used in the larger cars when teamed with a 304. Smaller 304 cars got the TF998.
I am genetically incapable of being Politically Correct.
Gizmo456 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gizmo456 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/27/2016 at 9:37pm
Looks like I'm looking for a good used 727. Can anyone suggest a good place to start looking or know of one for sale?

401harry View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401harry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/28/2016 at 5:55pm
After seeing your goal of an 800 HP motor, I would, if it were me look towards a stronger auto. With those power levels you want to avoid the driveline shock that a manual would bring or with a light Gremlin you will turn the car around very quickly with the short wheelbase. May I suggest you look at the JW ultrabell combined with a GM turbo 400. Will be cheaper in the long run and the 400 is better than the 727 at those HP numbers and cheaper to build or buy a complete unit outright. Mondello flywheel and a decent converter for your app completes an almost indestructible driveline.  Hope your rear axle is up to the task!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic