TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

AMC 327CI V8-225 supercharging boat

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tl-01a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/04/2020 at 7:29am
So, its almost 3 years later and we went into action.
The engine is removed from the boat and taken apart. One of the pushrods showed some eccessive wear, and the crankshaft rope seal was leaking a lot. We already have a solution for the crankshaft seal. A company from arround here sells a retrofit rope for old engines. This should stop the leak.

We want to implement the following upgrades:
  • Cylidner heads => 5 axis cnc porting bei veicomer engine performance in Portugal  https://veicomer.com/ - https://veicomer.com/
  • Intake => We purchased the Edelbrock Performer 3731, the intake does not fit the engine directly, as it is designed for a later AMC V8. We measured the modifications needed, made a cad drawing and water jet cut the parts, later the parts needed a little cnc milling. The intake now fits the engine perfect, but will need to be trimmed at the end a little bit, as this part is not used on the older engine and does interfere with the ignition.  https://www.edelbrock.com/perer-egr-amc-intake-manifold-3731. - https://www.edelbrock.com/performer-egr-amc-intake-manifold-3731.html
  • Exhaust => We will weld a thicker exhaust, as the old one is to smal in diameter
  • Injection => We purchased a Holley Sniper EFI 650 HP 550-520 The engine bay will need a little modification as the EFI is to high, also the Air Filter will need to be moved to another location, as it will make the engine even taller.   https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sne-550-520 - https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sne-550-520
We also calculated how much power the engine is making now. Its very close to 220hp.
We really dont know how much power all these modifications will make. For sure the engine will run more efficient, as the mixture will be monitored by the EFI.

Kind regards

Buzzman72 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buzzman72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/04/2020 at 8:52am
There is another forum member adapting the Holley Sniper system to a 327. The Holley distributor for the 327 is simply not made, so the original Delco distributor has to be converted to a Hall Effect electronic. I* understand the Pertronics Ignitor II and Ignitor III are Hall Effect conversions. 

Not sure how timing control is interfaced, but it must be part of the Sniper ECU setup.

Good luck! And keep us posted on the progress!
Buzzman72...void where prohibited, your mileage may vary, objects in mirror may be closer than they appear, and alcohol may intensify any side effects.
Tl-01a View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tl-01a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/04/2020 at 9:37am
Ah, this is no issue for our engine I think. The engine already has electronic ingnition. My dad installed this arround the year 2000. It should be possible to get the signal from this.
trewyn15 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trewyn15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/04/2020 at 11:17am
That other member is me .. do you have any information on that electric ignition conversion?  Is is a true HEI distributor now?  I can't seem to find anyone to do the retrofit.

I will be going with the Pertronix Ignitor III in the meantime, but I still won't be able to control timing on the fly.  It's my understanding that I'm likely best off locking out the timing, which would likely cause some harder warm starts and such.

For the time being I'm just going to verify my vacuum advance is working properly and run as is, but this obviously won't be taking full advantage of the EFI's tuning capabilities.
2020 Ram 1500 Big Horn Night Edition
2000 Trans Am WS6
1989 Trans Am GTA
1989 Grand Prix ASC/McLaren
1983 AMC Concord DL
1966 AMC Rambler Rebel Classic
PROSTOCKTOM View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PROSTOCKTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/04/2020 at 4:05pm
I would without question be looking into using a belt driven supercharger for simplicity and would not waste any effort on a turbo do to exhaust hassles. While I tend to personally be a huge fan of Procharger products I think you could do well using a supercharger off off a Mercedes Benz 230 Kompressor. That will give you enough boast for your application and they are very reasonably priced and easily available on eBay. Also there is a fare bit of information available online, as well as, some neat parts that have been developed to help with crossbreeding them to other applications. The actual unit is an Eaton design that M-B contracted to build. Even if you get 3-4 psi it's going to make a huge difference in the torque output. I know several companies use Prochargers on offshore boats that are only set to produce 2.5 psi. and make significant even at this low pressure.  If it were my boat that is the direction I would be looking into.

Tom
Molnar Technologies Full Service Dealer - Crankshafts & Connecting Rods

1969 AMC Rambler Rouge Race Car
1974 AMC Hornet Hatchback, Wally Booth Outlaw Nostalgic Pro Stock Race Car Project
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/04/2020 at 4:38pm
For electronic ignition conversions of almost anything, contact these people:
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/04/2020 at 7:10pm
The Holley Sniper doesn't need any specific ignition system in a basic install, all it does is supply air and fuel just like a carby, so you could certainly run it with points. It's only if you also want to use the Sniper for ignition control as well that you would need some sort of electronic ignition conversion, note the you cannot use a Pertronix or HEI system with the Sniper for ignition control (there is a work around for HEI), you just need a distributor with an electronic pickup to feed into the Sniper and can then use the Sniper ignition module or a CDI box to fire the spark.

I can't see you really needing ignition control on a boat where you would run high RPM all the time, you could potentially just lock the distributor and set the total timing.
I've finally given up drinking for good...........now I only drink for evil.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic