TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

360 cast pistons

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amc67rogue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/04/2017 at 5:25pm
All of the 290 304 343 360 pistons have the same compression height. OEMs were 1.600 or 1.593. The after market ones were usually 1.858. ? Were they allowing for deck and head milling ? All 290-360s used the 707 rods.
Keith Coggins 67Rogue X code
Class Guy View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Class Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/05/2017 at 7:48am
Originally posted by amc67rogue amc67rogue wrote:

All of the 290 304 343 360 pistons have the same compression height. OEMs were 1.600 or 1.593. The after market ones were usually 1.858. ? Were they allowing for deck and head milling ? All 290-360s used the 707 rods.

Not exactly accurate.  The 290 OEM 2-bbl pistons were 1.583" while the 290 4bbl pistons were 1.610".  All 343 pistons were 1.583".  360 dished pistons were 1.593".  I do not have OEM information about the 360 flat top pistons.  This is information is from AM literature.  

Sealed Power/Speed Pro replacement pistons 362P and variations all have a compression height of 1.581", according to their literature.
1982AMCConcord View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1982AMCConcord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/05/2017 at 8:06am
Do you guys think that overall... the aftermarket cast pistons are better than the stock OEM pistons? A lot of guys think the OEM ones are brittle under too much power. The reason I ask is because I do often read that some guys are thumping out some real decent power on aftermarket cast pistons and I am wondering how much they can really take out of pure curiosity. Personally... my gut feeling is that I wouldn't use them for anything more than an OEM performance build... meaning a stock engine that has a few things added to bump up the power over stock. Even though I have often read that some guys have used them in 300-360hp engines... I think forged pistons quickly start becoming more important once they start approaching 400hp...  
Slate View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Slate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/05/2017 at 11:26am
It's not the power per se that is the line in the sand between using cast versus forged. Since rpm's are part of the horsepower equation, the more revs required to get the power, the quicker a piston has to start and stop at TDC. That, along with other factors, is what affects the longevity of the piston. The hp is a general rule of thumb taking in account the rpm's to reach it.

Steve 
Class Guy View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Class Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/05/2017 at 11:50am
Cast pistons do not have the structural integrity at the molecular level that forged pistons have. While there are advantages that can be pointed out for both processes, for high performance use forged pistons have characteristics that make them more reliable for use. Here is a link to a collection of different publications comparing and defining cast, hypereutectic and forged pistons.

http://saaa.naqtechnology.com.au/Portals/0/PDFs/Mem-Building/Thermal_Expansion.pdf
shootist View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote shootist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/05/2017 at 12:09pm
x2 on what Slate has said. The RPM range is most critical as things want to start tearing themselves apart in the upper RPM ranges.

However, that gets me thinking what if you had a 360 and wanted to go add strength but not go with a custom billet crank. I suppose one could get the 360 crank and block shot peened and/or cryo treated to add some strength but I suspect getting a servicable 390 or 401 block and crank would still come out to a better price. Also being that I have never personally done such a thing to a 360 I am unsure how much strength it would even add. The only reason I would see for trying to max out power on 360 cast pieces would be due to cubic inch requirements. There are of course many better ways I just thought I would mull over alternative ideas for a moment.
1982AMCConcord View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1982AMCConcord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/05/2017 at 12:17pm
Great info and insight. Thanks guys! 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
  Share Topic